Summer Story Ideas: Local Angles on Federal Issues
Trump Budget, ESSA, Pell Grants ... and More!
School’s out, but there’s no shortage of compelling summer stories to pursue on the education beat.
How might President Trump’s proposed budget cuts for education impact summer learning programs? How is your state incorporating summer learning into its revamped accountability plan under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)? What’s the latest on summer Pell Grants?
On Thursday, June 29, EWA held a webinar where education reporters and a summer learning expert discussed story ideas and dug into these and other topics, including the “summer slide” (learning loss during the summer break) and “summer melt” (students accepted to college but who never show up).
Whether you cover P-12 or higher education, are looking for a quick-hit daily story or a data-driven takeout, this wide-ranging, fast-moving webinar will provide you with fresh insights and new story ideas to take back to the newsroom.
Watch the Replay:
- Rachel Gwaltney, Director of Policy and Partnerships, National Summer Learning Association (Presentation)
- Linda Shaw, Education Editor, The Seattle Times (Presentation)
- Beckie Supiano, Senior Reporter, The Chronicle of Higher Education (Presentation)
- David Loewenberg, EWA Program Specialist (Presentation)
- Thursday, June 29, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. (EST)