Reporting Grants up to $15K
McGraw Fellowship via the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism
Do you – or a reporter you know – have a great idea for a high-impact education story that “Follows the Money,” but few resources to get it done? If so, check out the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY.
Applications are now open for the Winter 2021 McGraw Fellowships. The Fellowships, awarded twice a year, provide experienced journalists with the funds and editorial support needed to produce high-impact economic and business stories.
The upcoming deadline to apply for Winter 2021 Fellowships is February 12, 2021. Summer 2021 applications will be due July 16, 2021
- Each Fellow receives a grant of up to $15,000
- Open to both freelance and staff journalists with at least five years of experience
- Applications in any type of media – print, audio, video, online – are considered
- Applications accepted from both reporters and editors
What kind of stories do we support? Previous McGraw Fellows have explored a wide array of topics – and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many McGraw Fellows have been generalists, or follow education, the environment, or other beats. Others focus on economic justice or corporate accountability. Here are a few examples:
- Palm Oil labor abuses linked to world’s top banks, brands Associated Press
- Several years into BP Settlement spending, the bulk of Mississippi’s restauration work remains undone Mississippi Today
- Hurricane fallout creates financial ruin for Puerto Rico’s seniors with reverse mortgages USA Today and the Centro de Periodismo Investigativo
- Is Getting Pregnant “Medically Necessary” Right Now? MIT Technology Review
- The Problem with PLUS: How Parents Buckle Under the Weight of College Debt US News & World Report
- When Big Tech Goes Green, Taxpayers Help Foot the Bill Bloomberg Businessweek
- In Texas, teachers see savings eroded by bad bets on exotic stocks The Street
The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism was
established at the Newmark Graduate School of
Journalism at CUNY in January 2014 with the goal of
enhancing the quality and depth of business and economic news
coverage. In addition to providing funding and editorial support
for veteran journalists, the Center offers training and
scholarships for young reporters entering the field.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism
This is a sponsored message and does not necessarily represent the views of the Education Writers Association, its board of directors, or its members. Want to see your release on the EWA site? Promote it with EWA.