Enterprise Reporting Grants up to $15K
McGraw Fellowship via the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism
Do you – or a reporter you know – have a great idea for a high-impact education story that “Follows the Money,” but few resources to get it done? If so, check out the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY.
Applications are now open for the Spring 2022 McGraw Fellowships. The Fellowships, awarded twice a year, provide experienced journalists with up to $15K and the editorial support needed to produce deeply-reported stories that delve into critical economic, financial or business issues. Previous McGraw Fellows have explored a wide array of topics – and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many have been generalists, or follow education, the environment, or other beats. Others focus on economic justice or corporate accountability. Both freelance and staff journalists in all forms of media with at least five years’ professional experience are eligible. Journalists of color and journalists from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The upcoming deadline to apply for Spring 2022 Fellowships is March 31, 2022. Fall 2022 applications will be due September 30, 2022.
What kind of stories do we support? Here are a some examples of our previous Fellows’ work:
- Toxic Churn: How the Legacy of Former Industrial Sites Pollutes American Cities Today Grist.org
- Promised Debt Relief, Some Black Farmers Get Collection Notices Center for Public Integrity
- How a dramatic win in plastic waste case may curb ocean pollution NationalGeographic.com
- The Problem with PLUS: How Parents Buckle Under the Weight of College Debt US News & World Report
- Palm Oil labor abuses linked to world’s top banks, brands Associated Press
- Several years into BP Settlement spending, the bulk of Mississippi’s restauration work remains undone Mississippi Today
- Hurricane fallout creates financial ruin for Puerto Rico’s seniors with reverse mortgages USA Today and the Centro de Periodismo Investigativo
- Is Getting Pregnant “Medically Necessary” Right Now? MIT Technology Review
- In Texas, teachers see savings eroded by bad bets on exotic stocks The Street
- Two Nations, One Aquifer: A series about water at the border Albuquerque Journal
If you’d like to join them, you’ll find more information, an FAQ and an application at bit.ly/McGrawFellows. If you have questions or a project you’d like to discuss, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism was established at the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY in January 2014 with the goal of enhancing the quality and depth of business and economic news coverage. In addition to providing funding and editorial support for veteran journalists, the Center offers training and scholarships for young reporters entering the field.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism
This is a sponsored message and does not necessarily represent the views of the Education Writers Association, its board of directors, or its members. Want to see your release on the EWA site? Promote it with EWA.