Enterprise Reporting Grants up to $15K
McGraw Fellowship via the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism
Do you – or a reporter you know – have a great idea for a high-impact education story that “Follows the Money,” but few resources to get it done? If so, check out the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY.
Applications are now open for the Fall 2021 McGraw Fellowships. The Fellowships, awarded twice a year, provide experienced journalists with the funds and editorial support needed to produce deeply-reported stories that delve into critical economic, financial or business issues across a wide variety of subjects. Journalists of color and journalists from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The upcoming deadline to apply for Fall 2021 Fellowships is September 30, 2021. Spring 2022 applications will be due March 31, 2022
- Each Fellow receives a grant of up to $15,000
- Open to both freelance and staff journalists with at least five years of experience
- Applications in any type of media – print, audio, video, online – are considered
- Applications accepted from both reporters and editors
- International journalists are eligible to apply, provided their stories will be published in US media
What kind of stories do we support? Previous McGraw Fellows have explored a wide array of topics – and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many McGraw Fellows have been generalists, or follow education, the environment or other beats. Others focus on economic justice or corporate accountability. Here are a few examples:
- Palm Oil labor abuses linked to world’s top banks, brands Associated Press
- Several years into BP Settlement spending, the bulk of Mississippi’s restauration work remains undone Mississippi Today
- Do Restrictions on H-1B Visas Create American Jobs? New York Times
- Hurricane fallout creates financial ruin for Puerto Rico’s seniors with reverse mortgages USA Today and the Centro de Periodismo Investigativo
- Is Getting Pregnant “Medically Necessary” Right Now? MIT Technology Review
- The Problem with PLUS: How Parents Buckle Under the Weight of College Debt US News & World Report
- In Texas, teachers see savings eroded by bad bets on exotic stocks The Street
- Two Nations, One Aquifer: A series about water at the border Albuquerque Journal
The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism was established at the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY in January 2014 with the goal of enhancing the quality and depth of business and economic news coverage. In addition to providing funding and editorial support for veteran journalists, the Center offers training and scholarships for young reporters entering the field.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism
This is a sponsored message and does not necessarily represent the views of the Education Writers Association, its board of directors, or its members. Want to see your release on the EWA site? Promote it with EWA.