Five Questions to Ask: Online Learning
- What online learning options does the district you cover offer students? How long has this program been in place, and how has it developed over time? What do students say about the course offered online? What do teachers say?
- Are there any blended learning programs in your district? Sit in on one of the courses and document the balance between technology and teaching.
What do students think of the mixture of approaches, and how do they say it compares with other classes they have taken?
- Does the state or district you cover offer a full-time virtual learning program or cyber charters? If so, how many students are enrolled, and how has the online learning option affected the policy and practices of the physical schools?
- Are any of the teachers in the schools using “open source” educational resources such as the videos available on Khan Academy to supplement their classroom lessons? What do teachers in the district you cover think of the quality of these new potential tools?
- Have any of the schools you cover tried “flipped learning”? If so, how did this option affect teaching and student learning?