Five Questions to Ask: Early Childhood & Preschool
- Whom does this program serve? Understand the target audience for this program—disadvantaged children, those with special needs, middle-class families or more affluent families?
- How is the program funded and what partners/agencies are involved?Early childhood programs are often collaborative efforts involving public and private dollars.
- What is the philosophy/curriculum of the program?Does it follow a Montessori model, Direct Instruction, or Creative Curriculum, for example?
Many classrooms use a mix of methods and materials to achieve their goals.
- What level of training does the program require of teachers? Debate continues over whether a bachelor’s degree is necessary for preschool teachers, but the field has generally moved toward more education and specific training in child development.
- What does the program do to help children and their parents make the transition from one program to the next—from a toddler program into preschool? From preschool into kindergarten?