Back to Top
- Whom does this program serve? Understand the target audience
for a particular program—disadvantaged children, those with
special needs, middle-class families, etc.
- How is the program funded and what partners/agencies are
involved? Early childhood programs are often collaborative
efforts involving public and private dollars.
- What is the philosophy/curriculum of the program? Does it
follow a Montessori model or direct instruction, for
example? Many classrooms use a mix of methods and materials to
achieve their goals.
- What level of training does the program require of teachers?
Debate continues over whether a bachelor’s degree is necessary
for preschool teachers, but the field has generally moved toward
more education and specific training in child development.
- What does the program do to help children and their parents
make the transition from one program to the next—from a toddler
program into preschool? From preschool into kindergarten?