Higher Education Seminar Fall 2018
Las Vegas • UNLV • September 24-25, 2018
The Education Writers Association will hold its 2018 Higher Education Seminar Sept. 24-25 on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
The theme of this year’s intensive training event for journalists will be “Navigating Rapid Change.”
This journalist-only event will offer two days of high-impact learning opportunities. The seminar will focus on how both postsecondary education and journalism are adjusting to an increasingly divisive political environment and the changing demographic and economic demand for higher education.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Diane Auer Jones, delegated to perform the duties of Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education for the U.S. Department of Education.
- Jon Boeckenstedt, associate vice president, Enrollment Management and Marketing Leadership, of DePaul University and author of the “Higher Ed Data Stories” blog.
- John Cheslock, associate professor of education at Pennsylvania State University and co-author of a recent analysis of financial aid.
- Nathan Grawe, professor of economics at Carleton College and author of the recent book “Demographics and the Demand for Higher Education.“
- Ozan Jaquette, assistant professor at UCLA, who has analyzed the recruiting activities of colleges.
- Scott Jaschik, editor of Inside Higher Ed.
- Amy Li, assistant professor at the University of Northern Colorado, who is researching “free college” programs.
- Judith Scott-Clayton, associate professor of economics and education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and author of a recent study on student loan defaults.
Confirmed activities include data training on:
- Data visualizations using Tableau.
- Using the Equality of Opportunity Project data set to report on colleges’ success (or lack thereof) of helping low-income students progress into middle class careers.
- Factchecking colleges’ efforts at diversifying their student bodies by gathering and analyzing data on the high schools their recruiters visit.
Here is the preliminary agenda.
Due to overwhelming demand, as of Aug. 21, 2018, EWA has reached capacity for scholarships and registrations for this event. But more room may open up in September. Journalists interested in attending our 2018 Higher Education Seminar can sign up for our wait list.
We look forward to seeing you in Vegas!