University of Maryland College of Education
The University of Maryland College of Education seeks an enterprising writer/editor with a passion for telling relevant, engaging stories, with an eye to reaching internal and external audiences, including the media. The position requires strong reporting skills along with clear, accurate and lively writing.
The writer/editor will help identify and suggest stories that support the college’s vision and strategic priorities. They will produce and edit news articles and feature stories, as well as social media posts, that showcase the college’s research, programs, student experience, alumni, community partnerships and more. The writer will conduct interviews with appropriate stakeholders as part of the writing process. The writer’s stories will be published on college and university print, digital and social media channels, including the college’s Endeavors alumni magazine.
The writer will also assist the communications and marketing team in creating emails, event communications, speeches, video projects, press materials, and other materials, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, science communications, professional writing/editing, public relations or related field, plus 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated interviewing and news/feature writing experience, including telling stories concisely and compellingly online, in print, or as multimedia
- Strong interest in social science, plus an ability to distill research and academic writing for general audiences
- Excellent writing, editing, fact-checking, proofreading and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail in reviewing, editing and proofing own and others’ work
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects under deadline pressure and amid changing priorities
- Ability to build productive, cooperative relationships with colleagues, and faculty and staff members in a diverse work environment
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, professional writing/editing, public relations or related field, plus three years of relevant professional experience
- Proven ability to write interesting, accessible copy about complex topics, preferably in an education and human development context, for a non technical audience
- Experience creating social media content
- Experience working with members of the media
- Knowledge of AP style, with an ability to follow editorial standards and apply University and College brand messaging
Three samples of published work must be included in application
How to Apply:
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.