Edutopia, the influential publisher of videos and stories about what works in education, is looking for a new Writer/Editor. The Writer/Editor will play a critical role within Edutopia, researching, pitching, and writing new stories; shaping and packaging content for maximum engagement; working closely with members of the broader creative team to enhance stories visually through data, photography, illustration, video, animations; and managing and editing other writers and external contributors.
Candidates should have the following:
- At least 5 years of professional writing and editing experience in digital media
- An instinct for finding good stories and a demonstrated ability to write, report, and edit both short-form stories and longer features
- A knack for and interest in modern publishing platforms and formats, particularly social media, video, and other multimedia packages
This is an opportunity to join a small but passionate editorial team practicing solutions-oriented journalism—writing and reporting about transformative, positive change in pre-K to 12 education. You will be interviewing thought leaders in the field, reporting from innovative schools that are pioneering new models of learning, keeping an eye out (and an ear to the ground) for emerging trends that are changing the face of education, and writing about compelling new research that grounds our storytelling in scientific evidence.
- Researching and developing compelling pitches for feature articles, videos, and other educational content packages
- Assigning, editing, reporting, and writing articles or multimedia pieces on educational innovations, emerging trends, new research, and changemakers and influencers
- Being active on social media, including as a regular contributor to Edutopia’s influential social channels
- Collaborating with the broader creative team to develop art direction for stories, including photos, illustrations, interactive formats, infographics, and animations
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of professional writing and editing experience in digital media, with a track record of writing for a broad audience
- Experience in journalistic beats like education, the environment, wellness, tech, health, or culture; experience in education reporting is a strong plus
- Experience recruiting and editing external contributors is preferred, but not required
- Experience with video storytelling is preferred, but not required; a willingness to work with our video team to learn video storytelling is required
- Enthusiasm for the organization’s mission of educational transformation, a love of team-oriented work cultures, and a willingness to wear many hats to get the job done
- A clear passion for great storytelling, digital media, and the creative process
We are looking for outstanding journalists with a passion for digital media and an instinct for finding and developing great education stories—wherever they are. The position is based at our headquarters in Marin, CA; however, we are open to hiring strong remote candidates, as well. This is a full-time, benefited position.
When applying, please provide URLs of your relevant digital work, including any relevant work in the field of education journalism.
About the George Lucas Educational Foundation
The George Lucas Educational Foundation is dedicated to transforming prekindergarten through 12th grade (pre-K to 12) education so all students can acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to thrive in their studies, careers, and adult lives. Founded by innovative and award-winning filmmaker George Lucas in 1991, the Foundation takes a strategic approach to improving pre-K to 12 education through two distinct areas of focus: (1) Edutopia, which uses digital media and interactive technology to increase knowledge, sharing, and adoption of what works in education, and (2) Lucas Education Research, which conducts rigorous research in collaboration with university partners, research firms, and leading educators to identify and evaluate replicable practices at the student, teacher, and school level that profoundly and positively impact the course of learning and lifelong achievement. A nonprofit, nonpartisan 501(c)(3) private foundation that is operated for educational purposes, we welcome all who are devoted to improving education.
Please apply: https://www.edutopia.org/jobs
The George Lucas Educational Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.