Deans for Impact
Location: Flexible; Austin, TX preferred
About Deans for Impact
Every child deserves a well-prepared teacher. Deans for Impact is a national nonprofit organization working to make this the reality for every student in the U.S. We do this by bringing together leaders of educator-preparation programs who want to change the way they prepare beginning teachers; helping them transform their programs through evidence, including our best scientific understanding about how students learn; supporting them to sustain changes over time; and building their capacity to influence policy.
At Deans for Impact, we believe that a great workplace is one where you are inspired by your colleagues, and deeply engaged in your work every day. Six core values guide our work:
- Model professionalism – We seek out feedback and foster growth through honesty and humility.
- Be good stewards – We care deeply about our culture, and everyone is expected to positively nurture its growth and evolution.
- Practice good pedagogy – We create learning environments where all voices are heard; gather evidence to inform our decisions; and design activities with the end in mind.
- Always seek solutions – We are nimble in developing solutions to problems and testing them, and then we iterate based on what we’ve learned.
- Design for inclusivity – We take deliberate steps to foster inclusivity in everything we do, from hiring to program design to identifying leaders to collaborate with.
- Transform the system – We take risks to create transformative change, and we’re not afraid to fail.
The role of Writer-in-Residence
A transformation is underway in our nation’s system of educator preparation. The Writer-in-Residence at Deans for Impact will have an unprecedented opportunity to tell the story of this transformation through the experiences of future teachers, teacher-educators, and leaders at the front lines of the change. The Writer-in-Residence will be a storyteller who can identify concise, compelling narratives about teacher education and the work of Deans for Impact. They will be able to travel to programs in every corner of America (and possibly abroad), interviewing those involved with Deans for Impact to highlight the ways in which teacher education is changing as a result of our work. This is a new full-time staff position at Deans for Impact.
The Writer-in-Residence will be responsible for:
- Writing, and lots of it. We need an in-house journalist who can investigate and write about our activities. We have incredible access to universities and schools all over the country (and even abroad), and we want to effectively tell the story of what’s happening in our education system through the lens of teacher preparation.
- Developing content that is crisp and compelling. The precise form of this content will vary depending on the skillset of whomever is hired. It will definitely include lots of written work product, such as our quarterly newsletter, policy briefs, collateral material related to specific projects we undertake, website copy, and social media. It may include things such as podcasts, video or animated shorts, PowerPoint decks, or other creative forms of communication.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Ideally, you have at least five years’ worth of professional experience writing stories or other written work product. This may be as a journalist, freelancer, or any other role where you wrote extensively.
- You have some experience producing (or managing the production of) other types of content.
- If you have any prior experience in education, that’s a plus.
Skills and qualities:
- You write with punch, concision, and clarity.
- You are a storyteller who can identify the most intriguing and newsworthy theme emerging from complicated contexts.
- You can develop creative and compelling content to reach varied audiences, including university faculty, teachers, policymakers, and funders.
- You enjoy collaborating with stellar colleagues.
- You listen carefully, and think about how your history and experiences influence your perceptions.
- You recognize the connection between historical injustices and present-day inequities in education – and want to help remedy them.
How to Apply
Please visit http://bit.ly/DFICareers to submit your application for the Writer-in-Residence position. In addition to a resume, you will be asked to submit up to three writing samples. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
We will start screening candidates immediately and continue until we find the right person. Deans for Impact attracts top talent, and we offer competitive wages and benefits.
For more information, visit www.deansforimpact.org.
At Deans for Impact, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We hope you will join us as we continue to build an organization where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and all identities are affirmed.
Deans for Impact provides equal opportunity in employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.