Writer and Editorial Program Manager (Hybrid/Remote Optional)
University of Notre Dame
The University of Notre Dame (https://jobs.nd.edu) is accepting applications for a Writer and Editorial Program Manager (Hybrid/Remote Optional).
Applications will be accepted until 3/11/2022.
It’s more than what you do: it’s how you do it. That’s why https://research.nd.edu is committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity and ensures that members of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome, and included. We strive to achieve a culture of openness, autonomy, and belonging, making Notre Dame an exceptional place for our team, partners, and collaborators to flourish.
Come help us tell our story! The University of Notre Dame received a record-breaking $222.7 million in research award funding for fiscal year 2021. This is more than $42 million over the previous record and the first time the University has surpassed the $200 million mark. In the world of research, dollars and cents translate to groundbreaking discoveries, new knowledge and understanding, and improved technologies. As a result, there are hundreds of stories waiting to be told – and we hope you will consider joining us in order to get them out into the world!
NDR is now recruiting a creative, curious, disciplined, and PR- and media-savvy Writer and Editorial Program Manager to join our award-winning Research Communications Team. The Writer and Editorial Manager (WEM) will have the opportunity to showcase our faculty’s research, scholarship, and creative endeavor through exceptional storytelling and to help shape the University’s research reputation in collaboration with our in-house communications team and partners across campus. Communicating achievement is a critical step in the research lifecycle because it stimulates interest amongst target audiences—funding agencies and donors, faculty and senior administrators at peer universities, prospective postdoctoral scholars and students—which helps draw people and resources to Notre Dame, furthering the growth of research at the University.
The ideal WEM candidate has enthusiasm and a deep appreciation for both the power and nuance of research and the ability to write about complex projects in a technically accurate, yet readable, fashion. We’re looking for a content creator who can regularly produce stories that will feed websites and social media and who has a strong appreciation and enthusiasm for research from across the academy. Additionally, this service-minded individual will work hard to support faculty and advise on best-practices for communications by understanding their diverse communications needs.
As a skilled and accurate communicator, the Writer and Editorial Manager (WEM) will work to ensure that:
• NDR’s communications platforms have dynamic, up-to-date, and consistently developed written content that is well-presented, technically accurate, and meets target higher education audience needs, in addition to serving the strategies and tactics of NDR’s communications vision and mission.
• The media-savvy WEM will proactively seek out and identify stories of interest, such as about publications, new grants, and more, as well as manage new or ongoing written series.
• He/she/they will read background documentation, prepare interview questions, coordinate scheduling with the researcher, and then write and edit both long and short form stories for approval by the Director of Research Communications in a timely fashion.
• The WEM will plan for and manage an engaging editorial calendar that ensures all web and social channels are populated with timely, interesting content.
• The WEM may be requested to write other copy upon request, such as speeches, brochures, and more.
• The WEM will work closely with all NDRC team members but will specifically be expected to support the videographer with interviewing.
• Utilizing strong knowledge of AP style, the WEM will review and edit all written content that is released from the NDRC team, including newsletters, mass emails, print items, and more to ensure they are brand standard.
• The WEM will regularly review, evaluate, and report on related storytelling data in order to help inform decision-making on future strategies and tactics.
Further, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with ND’s Office of Public Affairs and Communications, including Media Relations, MarComm, Strategic Content, and others, as well as colleagues in the Colleges and Schools, and Development.
Finally, the ideal candidate will be a collaborative, solutions-oriented problem solver, who has an understanding of, and enthusiasm for, higher education and research, and can work within embargoed and/or confidential arrangements, will work diplomatically as part of the https://research.nd.edu/about/staff/?service=communications&division=&name=&unit=&id= to support all existing NDR communications services in order to help to provide central communications and marketing service to all https://research.nd.edu/about/reporting-units/ within Notre Dame Research.
• Bachelor’s degree required. English, public relations, or other communications with an interest in STEM fields desired. Will consider a science or engineering background with strong writing skills.
• 1-4 years of relevant work experience.
• Proficiency in Macintosh platforms and Google products required, including email, calendar, sheets, docs, analytics, and more.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including research, fact-checking, and editing.
• Must be proficient with the AP Style Guide.
• Well-organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to multitask and handle shifting priorities.
• Holds self to highest standards of confidentiality, discretion, and diplomacy.
• Ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively even in a remote or hybrid workplace environment and the ability to work effectively within a diverse population.
• If remote, ability and desire to travel to the Notre Dame campus as needed to fulfill the duties of the role.
• Master’s degree preferred.
• Past experience working in higher education or academic setting and past experience in STEM disciplines strongly desired.
• Experience using content management systems and experience using social media for business purposes is desired.
• Experience with Adobe Spark preferred
ABOUT NOTRE DAME:
The University of Notre Dame, founded in 1842 by Rev. Edward F. Sorin, C.S.C., of the Congregation of Holy Cross, is an independent, national Catholic university located in Notre Dame, Ind. For the fifth consecutive year, the University of Notre Dame has received Honor Roll distinctions as one of the top 10 higher education workplaces in the country in the Chronicle of Higher Education’s annual “Great Colleges to Work For” survey…and we are proud of it!
This appointment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Applicants will be asked to identify all felony convictions and/or pending felony charges. Felony convictions do not automatically bar an individual from employment. Each case will be examined separately to determine the appropriateness of employment in the particular position. Failure to be forthcoming or dishonesty with respect to felony disclosures can result in the disqualification of a candidate. The full procedure can be viewed at https://facultyhandbook.nd.edu/?id=link-73597.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
The University of Notre Dame seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administration. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates and those candidates attracted to a university with a Catholic identity. Moreover, Notre Dame prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).
Please apply online at http://ND.jobs to Job # https://apptrkr.com/2871600. For additional information about working at the University of Notre Dame and various benefits available to employees, please visit http://hr.nd.edu/why-nd. The University of Notre Dame supports the needs of dual career couples and has a Dual Career Assistance Program in place to assist relocating spouses and significant others with their job search.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.