America’s Promise Alliance
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Writer & Editor produces a wide variety of communications materials to advance the mission of America’s Promise Alliance. Mainly producing materials for the digital environment, the Writer also articulates a broad spectrum of messages by writing for offline venues and ghost writing for America’s Promise leadership. This person will serve as a central member of staff responsible for crafting the brand voice for America’s Promise and its signature effort, the GradNation campaign to raise on-time high school graduation rates in America to 90 percent by 2020.
About America’s Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young Americans.
We are devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed.
We are the nation’s largest partnership of our kind, bringing together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, educators and ordinary citizens behind the idea of making the promise of America accessible to all young people.
We frame our work around Five Promises that we believe must be made and kept to every young American – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education, and opportunities to serve. With the supportive environment of these promises at work for young Americans, we believe we can reach a more tangible goal: a 90 percent graduation rate by 2020. Our GradNation campaign is focused on putting this critical milestone – and therefore a shot at the American Dream – within reach for young Americans.
- Writes content for America’s Promise websites and email communications
- Writes content for a broad array of offline marketing and communications collateral, including fundraising and promotional materials, mission delivery materials for purposes like GradNation Community Summits
- Drafts speaking materials such as meeting presentations, talking points or speech scripts
- Drafts media relations materials, including news releases, issue briefs and other materials needed by the Director of Media Relations
- Keeps up-to-date with best practices in writing for the web, social media trends, web usability, web design, and business/industry trends
- Copy edits research, reports and other written materials as assigned
- Maintain the America’s Promise writing and editing style guide
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong working knowledge of Associated Press Stylebook
- Experience in writing for the Web, content management and internet research
- Portfolio of work that is substantially of your own creation
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or any discipline that fosters strong writing skills
How to apply:
Please submit a resume, a letter detailing your interest in the position, and any writing samples that would be helpful to your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, please share your salary requirements.
We actively seek and welcome diversity of all types in the America’s Promise team, and are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.