Western Education Reporter
The Hechinger Report
The Hechinger Report is looking for a reporter to cover the West for our website and for collaborations with our local and national news partners. The Western Reporter will be a self-starter ready to cover education across a range of ages and geographies through the lens of Hechinger’s mission to reveal inequality and examine solutions and innovations in the field.
The Western Reporter will help to establish Hechinger’s first Western Bureau with the aim of providing in-depth coverage of the many issues faced by schools in the West, including chronic teacher shortages, below average graduation rates, indigenous students dealing with generational trauma, immigrant families facing deportation and many others. We’re looking for someone familiar with the issues facing the West who is ready to dive into deep, nuanced and thoroughly reported education stories that will engage both local and national audiences.
The job will be based in the West and will report to an editor living in Portland, Oregon. (We will consider applicants living or willing to live in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Oregon or Washington.) The job will involve frequent travel to communities throughout the West for reporting and occasional travel to New York City or Portland for meetings with other staff.
The Western Reporter will produce monthly enterprise stories highlighting ways education policy affects classrooms and families in the region, with a special eye to how the political, fiscal and environmental conditions of the West contribute to the education landscape. A strong candidate will also have some experience with investigative reporting and an interest in expanding his or her investigative reporting skills with Hechinger’s senior reporters and editors. Reporter must have the ability to juggle multiple long-form stories and meet deadlines. Experience covering marginalized or traditionally disenfranchised communities is required.
- Degree in journalism or equivalent reporting experience
- Excellent news judgement and ability to spot trends and important stories that haven’t been covered elsewhere
- Demonstrated ability to write with style and confidence about complicated topics — including research, policy debates and big ideas — in a way that engages the general public
- Demonstrated ability to take decent photographs
- Demonstrated ability to use data in reporting (beyond citing a statistic)
- Confidence to discuss stories on radio, TV or on panels at conferences
- Readiness to assist with investigative reporting projects
- At least 5 years reporting experience
- Experience telling local stories in a national context
- Knowledge of education issues in the West
- Masters degree in journalism
- At least two years covering education
- Experience with data analysis
- Experience assisting on or leading investigative projects
- Demonstrated ability to take excellent photographs
- Confidence and experience appearing on broadcast media
- Fluency in Spanish or a Native language
Visit our jobs page at https://hechingerreport.org/jobs/
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.