Web News Reporter
National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) is seeking a web news reporter with experience using a content management system. The reporter will report and write about student aid-related legislation, regulations, research, trends and best practices for the NASFAA website and daily electronic newsletter. The reporter will post and update website content using the content management system and promote website content through NASFAA’s social media channels. The reporter will also coordinate with the rest of NASFAA’s three-person editorial team to distribute the daily e-newsletter by 9:00 AM ET every weekday.
- Conceptualizes, researches and develops articles about legislative initiatives and federal regulations relating to Title IV student aid programs;
- Synthesizes information and writes news articles based on Federal Register documents, Department of Education Dear Colleague/Partner Letters and Announcements, training documents and manuals, research reports, and other similar items;
- Attends and reports on hearings, conferences, and meetings held by the Department of Education, Congress, NASFAA, and other related organizations;
- Works closely with other members of the NASFAA staff to identify and report on pertinent events and publications;
- Posts and formats news and other material on the NASFAA website and electronically delivers Today’s News, NASFAA’s daily e-newsletter, to subscribers before 9:00 am ET on weekday mornings;
- Assists in managing NASFAA’s social media accounts to increase organization awareness among consumers and reporters;
- Tracks and reports on social media and media statistics;
- Assists NASFAA’s web team with managing and posting content via the content management system, per established procedures;
- Assists in editing and proofreading association documents and publications; and
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Strong reporting, writing and editing skills
- Experience using a content management system
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree with Journalism focus preferred
- 2+ years of experience working in a newsroom in a writing/reporting/editing capacity
- Experience managing organizational social media presence
- Must be able to work on-site in NASFAA’s Washington, D.C. office.
- Familiarity with student aid and higher education issues
- Knowledge of the legislative and federal budget process
- Knowledge and experience with industry standard file formats, optimizing images, video and PDFs for the web
- Ability to create and edit multimedia content
Application instructions: Apply on-line at https://www.nasfaa.org/reporter
NASFAA is a nonprofit membership association that represents more than 20,000 financial aid professionals at nearly 3,000 colleges, universities, and career schools across the country. NASFAA member institutions serve nine out of every ten undergraduates in the U.S. Based in Washington, D.C., NASFAA is the only national association with a primary focus on student aid legislation, regulatory analysis, and training for financial aid administrators. At NASFAA, we strive to attract and retain a diverse and talented workforce that will contribute to the Association’s goals, mission and vision. It is NASFAA’s policy not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because he or she is an individual with a disability or has veteran status. NASFAA will provide reasonable accommodations to employees whose ability to perform their job is affected by pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions. NASFAA is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary range $55,000 – $58,000. NASFAA offers excellent benefits, including employee paid health insurance and a contributory retirement savings plan.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.