Vice President, Marketing & Communications
New Teacher Center
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Are you passionate about education? Do you want all students to have access to a quality education regardless of their zip code? We hope you’ll join us in furthering our mission of improving student learning by accelerating the effectiveness of new teachers and school leaders.
New Teacher Center is a nationally recognized leader in designing and delivering high quality induction programs for new teachers, supporting principals and administrators, and promoting policies and practices that provide teachers with positive school conditions. We believe in the power of collaboration and building deep and sustainable relationships to maximize creativity, learning, productivity, and sustainability. To learn more about NTC, visit www.newteachercenter.org.
Under the general direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Marketing & Communications will be a key member of NTC’s Leadership Team and will work closely with all Chief Officers. The VP, Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development, execution, and management of a national marketing plan aimed at helping the organization to achieve its strategic goals of increased programmatic reach, financial sustainability and increased brand visibility. This position provides an exciting opportunity for an ambitious, farsighted professional in strategic marketing and communications to help take NTC to a new level of reach and influence and, in the process, make a significant contribution to education reform.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions
The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Other duties may be required.
- Lead the development and execution of NTC’s three year and annual rolling marketing and go to market plans aimed at supporting the organization’s ability to achieve its strategic goals
- Own positioning, branding, segmentation and marketing strategy, and oversee marketing initiatives to assure full alignment
- Generate leads for New Teacher Center’s work by developing and executing lead generation strategies and campaigns
- Build awareness and cohesive branding among the organization’s target audiences
- Collaborate with Sr. VP of Product Strategy to translate market understanding into product requirements and to inform the direction of product strategy
- Establish an in-depth knowledge of prospective clients and their information and content needs
- Guide, curate, write, ghostwrite and produce high-quality, consistent, on-message, compelling collateral and content to spark target audiences to understanding and action
- Ensure brand-aligned, effective delivery of NTC messages across channels
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure that all published materials for external audiences have a consistent tone and appearance
- Liaison and management of external consultants and designers to ensure all published materials adhere to NTC Style Guide
- Oversee all marketing activities related to NTC’s annual national Symposium on teacher induction
- Leverage Symposium to build brand and community of advocates and evangelists
Leadership and Management
- Oversee all aspects of marketing and communications team and provide communications leadership to NTC as a whole
- Supervise the Director of Communications, Associate Director Marketing and Communications, and Senior Project Manager, Marketing and Communications
- Ensure that staff members develop the necessary communications skills and are appropriately trained as brand ambassadors and spokespeople of NTC
- Assist with the hiring, training, and managing of marketing and communications staff, consultants and vendors
- Prepare and manage the marketing and communications team’s annual budget, in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer
- Generate regular updates and reports, as needed, to the CEO and to the Board of Directors
- Coordinate with other employees to ensure consistent brand and messaging and consistent and timely marketing outreach activities to existing and prospective clients and funders across NTC
- Leverage marketing automation software for efficiency and capacity building
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 12+ years of demonstrated success building and leading marketing and communications functions in fast paced, entrepreneurial environments
- Knowledge of education field preferred
- Substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive marketing plans
- Demonstrated success in creating, leading and executing marketing and lead generation campaigns on a national scale, using various forms of media
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in, and enthusiasm for, Web 2.0 and digital media opportunities and knowledge of CRM and marketing automation technologies
- Significant organizational management skills, including team-building and staff supervision and development
- The ability to work well with colleagues, senior management, and Board members to achieve communications goals
- Strong organizational skills, with outstanding attention to detail
- Strategic, analytical approach combined with interpersonal professionalism, emotional intelligence and charisma
ADA Requirements/Working Conditions
- Work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Limited physical effort required
- Hearing, repetitive hand motions, sitting, talking, typing
New Teacher Center offers an outstanding benefit package to all eligible staff! Below is a list of some of the benefits you’ll have access to:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA), dependent care, parking & transit program
- Generous paid holiday, vacation, and sick time
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a company match
- Life insurance
- Professional development
- Most importantly, we offer a collaborative, kind, and supportive environment with colleagues who are passionate about improving education!
To Apply: Please upload your resume and cover letter here, explaining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and why you are interested in a position with New Teacher Center.
NTC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.