Vice President with Education-Reform Public Relations Firm
Are you interested in pursuing an exciting career in communications and public relations at a national level, specifically in helping reform the nation’s public education system? Are you interested in a leadership role in a growing public relations firm with a diverse and high profile client base, one that will provide tremendous opportunity for professional growth?
Larson Communications is a communications firm that has developed a reputation as the nation’s premiere public education reform communications organization. We serve unique, high-profile clients across the country, and are looking for a highly skilled, dynamic individual for a critical senior leadership position.
We’re looking for an articulate and experienced communications professional who wants to apply their communications skills to a cause and organization to create deep social impact. The Vice President will collaborate with the President and senior staff to spearhead the organization’s long-term growth strategy. Through leadership of a section of the organization, the VP will undertake a broad array of activities balancing strategic vision, management and execution of that vision, and new business development. Key areas of responsibility will encompass strategic planning, media relations, internal quality assurance and client development.
The VP will be responsible for the following duties:
- Successfully run multiple accounts simultaneously, including managing work plans, client expectations and internal staffing, to ensure project is consistent with time and scope in the contract.
- Lead initial in-person strategic planning sessions with new clients and follow-up with strategic communications plans and media calendars that demonstrate our creative approach and unique strategies tailored to the needs of the clients.
- Identify new business opportunities and lead the follow-up proposal process.
- Expand and/or renew existing accounts.
- Cultivate relationships with vendors or contractors that represent a variety of fields (e.g. graphic designer, web developers, media relations, etc.) and can be used on projects as needed.
- Demonstrate outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Consistently meet internal and external deadlines.
Internal Communications and Management:
- Develop and manage staff through direct project management, while providing effective feedback and identifying and promoting professional development opportunities.
- Promote a positive environment and swiftly identify any issues that are creating barriers to a collaborative, constructive work culture.
- Implement policies around recruiting, training and account management that result in top-notch client service.
- Attend and actively take a leading role in the quarterly strategic retreats for all staff: offering ideas, insights and recommendations on firm policies, staffing, client service, new business and other topics that ultimately impact the overall quality of the firm.
- Manage workflow and all staff assigned to the VP.
- Assist in hiring new staff that ultimately prove to be excellent, long-term hires.
- 10-15 years minimum of experience or equivalent in public relations and/or public policy. Experience in the agency environment preferred, education reform experience a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience working directly with the news media is a prerequisite.
- Ability to demonstrate successful execution of public awareness campaigns.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are critical.
- Great attention to detail.
- Successful record of developing and retaining both internal staff and clients.
- Team player with the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Excellent management and negotiating skills.
- Knowledge of public relations systems such as Cision and Vocus, as well as Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of social media tools and graphic design programs a plus.
Larson Communications is the only strategic communications firm in the nation that focuses exclusively on helping education organizations raise their visibility as they drive dramatic improvements in student achievement and quality education opportunities.
Larson Communications is committed to helping expand choices within the nation’s public school system and believes that when more families have access to quality options in education, the entire public school system benefits. Therefore, we promote various reform efforts including shaping the communications strategies for prominent quality charter school organizations, policy and advocacy organizations, teacher training programs, education technology organizations, as well as research institutions and think tanks across the country.
This position will ideally be based in San Francisco and will report directly to the President of Larson Communications. Send resumes and cover letter only with heading ‘Vice President of Communications.’ Please no phone calls.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.