Vice President of Communications
National Summer Learning Association
The National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) is the only national nonprofit exclusively focused on closing the achievement gap by increasing access to high-quality summer learning opportunities. NSLA recognizes and disseminates what works, offers expertise and support for programs and communities, and advocates for summer learning as a solution for equity and excellence in education. NSLA’s work is driven by the belief that all children and youth deserve high-quality summer learning experiences that will help them succeed in college, career, and life.
The Vice President of Communications oversees all communications, research and policy activities for the organization and leads a team of staff to implement mutually reinforcing strategies in same. The Vice President is responsible for developing marketing and communications plans and assets that further the organization’s strategic goals. Reporting the CEO, the Vice President serves as a key member of the Leadership Team and collaborates with senior leadership to support strategic planning and resource and organizational development activities including setting fundraising targets, engaging in funder and partner outreach to generate new business, and supporting implementation of NSLA’s staffing and infrastructure plans.
- Design and execute a comprehensive strategic marketing plan for the organization to build its brand and develop partnerships and products that advance the mission while sustaining the organization.
- Develop and lead communications strategy to broaden awareness and visibility of programs and priorities and allow leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, education policymakers, summer learning program providers, and corporate and philanthropic funding partners.
- Develop and maintain expertise by staying current on trends and issues in summer learning and K-12 education. Understand summer learning research, policy priorities and contexts to drive strategy and effectively lead team.
- Oversee development of guides, materials and capacity building efforts that ensure consistency and accuracy of messages and style across the organization’s work, including presentations, publications, media interviews and web site content.
- Oversee production of all regular and periodic communications, including printed and electronic publications, marketing collateral, and the organization’s web site and social media strategy. Manage relationships with associated vendors.
Required Education and Experience:
The Vice President of Communications position requires a strong personal commitment to NSLA’s mission.
The ideal candidate possesses the following minimum qualifications:
- Proven track record and at least seven years of experience leading marketing and communications efforts in a non-profit or corporate setting. Advanced degree is highly preferred.
- Experience with media relations; developing and implementing strategic marketing and communications plans to increase visibility for organizations and causes; and translating research into accessible knowledge products;
- Must have understanding of policy process and connections between communications strategy, research and policy goals;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to target a message to a variety of diverse stakeholders and purposes; and
- Passion, optimism, and a sense of humor.
The Vice President of Communications position is based in Baltimore, Maryland. Some travel is expected, approximately 15%. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experiences.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Sarah Pitcock at email@example.com with the subject line: VP of Communications.
NSLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.