Vice President, Communications
National Association of Charter School Authorizers
The Vice President, Communications will lead and manage all communications functions at the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA). This leader will infuse NACSA’s communications with creativity and strategy in order to help the organization advance and achieve its mission and strategic goals.
Founded in 2000, the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit and the leading organization dedicated to improving public education through excellence in charter school authorizing. NACSA works to strengthen the people, policies and practices of authorizers – the organizations designated to approve, monitor, renew and, if necessary, close charter schools. NACSA provides training, professional development, practical resources, consulting and policy guidance to authorizers. It also advocates for laws and policies that raise the bar for excellence among authorizers and the schools they charter. Above all, NACSA is committed to advancing excellence and accountability in the charter sector and to increasing the number of high-quality charter schools across the nation.
In November 2012 NACSA launched its five-year One Million Lives campaign, dedicated to providing one million more children the chance to attend a great school that will prepare them for success throughout their lives. The campaign recognizes that simply increasing the overall number of charter schools isn’t the answer. By engaging authorizers and a broad coalition to close failing charter schools and open many more good ones, we can get one million more children into 3,000 high-performing schools within five years.
Role and Major Responsibilities
The Vice President, Communications will:
- Set vision and direction for the organization’s communications functions;
- Finalize and execute on a draft strategic communications plan that has been drafted in collaboration with Larson Communications;
- Identify opportunities to use communications to advance the One Million Lives campaign;
- Ensure that key messages reach core audiences;
- Ensure that key messages are being delivered through the right person or communications tactic;
- Write various communications documents including press releases, speeches, stakeholder letters and op-eds;
- Build relationships with and secure news placements on behalf of NACSA;
- Oversee and manage all of the division’s responsibilities including strategic communications, media and press releases, marketing of programs and services, design and dissemination of publications and oversight of social media functions;
- Build and manage a dynamic team around the concept of strengths-based management in order to achieve priorities and goals; and
- Work closely and collaboratively with NACSA colleagues and partners to communicate NACSA’s overall mission and vision.
S/he will report to the President & CEO.
NACSA seeks a dynamic, smart, creative individual that can serve both as a visionary and leader, and as a project manager and executor, in the Communications department and the organization at-large. The successful candidate will have the following experience and characteristics.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Significant experience designing and executing strategic, multi-faceted communications plans
- A quantifiable record of professional success in achieving ambitious goals
- Knowledge and experience with new and social media
- Political and/or campaign experience preferred
- Management experience preferred
The perfect candidate has the following characteristics
- An outstanding writer and communicator
- A strategic thinker who can develop a long term vision and execute to meet goals
- Creative and skilled at identifying and seizing opportunities for the organization to reach key audiences
- Storyteller who can build narratives that are compelling to all audiences, especially media
- A multi-tasker, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to work at a fast pace without compromising quality or long term goals
- Data- and outcomes-oriented
- Able to both recognize and create an outstanding product, regardless of how big or small
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and a “no excuses” mentality
- Personable, with the ability to quickly build meaningful relationships with others and motivate and persuade individuals and groups of people
- Strong manager with a track record of building successful teams by coaching and developing individuals in order to improve performance and produce excellent results
All staff members demonstrate alignment with NACSA’s Values
- Quality Education – We are mission oriented and driven by the belief that all children deserve high-quality education options.
- Excellence – We do A-level work and set a high bar for performance in order to achieve our ambitious goals.
- Strategic – We begin our work with the end goal in mind, and align our priorities with NACSA’s Strategic Plan.
- Initiative – We proactively bring solutions to problems and do everything possible in order to reach desired outcomes.
- Community – We are part of an inclusive community that seeks opportunities for collaboration, considers multiple viewpoints and respects and values diversity.
- Balance – We prioritize effectively to respect our professional and personal commitments and foster organizational and individual success.
Between $125,000 and $145,000, commensurate with experience. Medical and disability benefits provided, as well as the potential for a performance-based bonus.
NACSA’s headquarters are located in Chicago.
The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a current resume and cover letter tailored to this specific position and be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.