Teaching & Learning Specialist
The Teaching and Learning Specialist serves on the Teaching & Learning team within Teaching Tolerance. As a team member the specialist helps to develop programming and teacher resources for print and web publication, supports online and in-person professional development activities and strategic partnerships, analyzes the impact of our programming and ensures that TT publications reflect best practices in anti-bias education. The Specialist ensures that our team is consistently operating in a way that allows us to design and deliver the highest impact professional development programming to advance teachers’ skills and effectiveness in our content areas.
- Support the design and development of professional development opportunities for K-12 teachers online and in person;
- Contribute to the development of new content and features for online curriculum tool, Perspectives for a Diverse America, in accordance with a strategic growth plan;
- With colleagues or freelancers, plan, organize and develop curricular and teacher resources to support program objectives;
- Assess the effectiveness of resources and develop recommendations that will optimize program impact.
- Collaborate with advisory board and co-workers to develop and carry out marketing, testing and evaluation of materials;
- Provide K-12 expertise and curricular support for print and online publications;
- Participate in departmental meetings and collaborative projects;
- Facilitate and support strategic partnerships as assigned by program director
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred;
- 3-5 years successful instructional experience in a K-12 setting;
- Proficient in backward planning and standards-based instruction;
- Experience developing curriculum or staff development activities, preferably online;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize time and manage implementation of plans in fast moving, changeable environments
- Proven ability to work effectively across teams
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of and appreciation for multicultural teaching, anti-bias education and culturally responsive pedagogy in addition to educational best practices A demonstrated commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion;
- High level of organization and ability to manage multiple projects, and set priorities;
- Effective communication skills;
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment;
- Based in Montgomery, AL., available for occasional travel nationally.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
SPLC offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of SPLC compensation bands.
Relocation assistance will be provided.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.