Staff Writer – Education
Tulsa World Media Company
Tulsa World Media Company is currently seeking candidates for an Education Staff Writer!
Staff writers work with photographers and editors to produce a complete news report. This position will be a staff writer for the news department focused on daily news assignments and in-depth projects on the topic of public education. Staff writers break news, report to find exclusive news stories, work to make their stories visual and connect their content to the most relevant audiences.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Work to be in the right position to produce exclusive,
emotionally appealing and accurate stories.
2. Do the reporting and take the time necessary to give our community a unique perspective on a story.
3. Develop and maintain professional judgment in the process reporting and writing.
4. Represent the Tulsa World in a professional and courteous manner, and always project a professional image in the community.
5. Show up to assignments on time to know what is happening and what needs to happen so you are ready to over deliver.
6. Look for opportunities for video/multimedia and whenever possible report in those ways, too.
7. File stories early from breaking news assignments so they can quickly appear on tulsaworld.com.
8. Work on at least one recurring project that can be published online and in print on a regular basis.
9. Pitch story ideas on a regular basis to editors.
10. Establish contacts in the community for stories you are working on and what could be future stories.
11. Write all stories so they are accurate and detailed with proper spellings that follow AP & Tulsa World style.
12. Seek out new opportunities for education and growth in journalism, photojournalism and social media trends.
13. Share stories, photos and links to galleries on professional social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter on every major assignment to promote your work and the Tulsa World.
14. Maintain and engage with those who interact with your work on social media.
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following knowledge, skills and experience:
1. Ability to follow all company policies and procedures
including but not limited to attendance standards.
2. Must possess a valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
3. Must be computer literate.
4. Must have an intermediate to advanced level knowledge of journalism.
5. Effectively utilize time and meet strict deadlines.
6. Minimum of 2 years of daily newspaper experience or equivalent.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.