More information about this job:
What We’re Looking For:
*Please include a resume, cover letter and 3-5 writing samples from the past year.
The Content Marketing Team is seeking a deadline-oriented writer to pitch, report and write education stories for our university partners based on their core values and their faculty’s research – turning academic research into comprehensive storytelling for the general public.
In this role, you will find and pitch great ideas; research, report and write data-driven stories; and work with editors, designers and a multimedia team to usher your ideas from light-bulb moment to exceptional final product. The ideal candidate is a news junkie and idea machine who loves puzzles and can build a great story from scratch.
This is not a 24-hour news cycle — you are able to create long-form stories, are free from story counts and have plenty of room to hone and refine your work. Explore examples of our team’s work below:
- A Snapshot of Mental Illness in America: https://msw.usc.edu/mswusc-blog/a-snapshot-of-mental-illness-in-america/
- The Guide to Pinterest for Educators: https://rossieronline.usc.edu/pinterest-for-educators/
- How Vinyl Got Its Groove Back: https://onlinebusiness.american.edu/blog/how-vinyl-got-its-groove-back/
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Hunt down, report and write exceptional stories with ambitious content goals
- Pitch content ideas to both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop compelling infographics, data visualizations and other digital content that attracts readership and encourages sharing
- Collaborate seamlessly with editors, graphic designers, video producers and social media editors to brainstorm and produce content
Things That Should Be in Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant coursework in journalism, communications, English, or similar
- At least two years of experience researching and writing in a deadline-driven environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously
Other Attributes That Will Help You in This Role:
- Ability to find creative, unorthodox solutions without close supervision
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Willingness to travel to the campuses of our partner schools as needed
- Experience in SEO and organic marketing
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.