Speechwriter and Public Information Representative
The UC Riverside Office of Strategic Communications is seeking an experienced and highly motivated speechwriter and and public information representative.
Company Name: University of California, Riverside
Title: Speechwriter and Public Information Representative
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Strategic Communications
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Riverside, California, United States, 92521
Date Posted: 08/13/2013
Schedule: 8AM – 5PM
The UC Riverside Office of Strategic Communications, which encompasses Media Relations, Marketing, Video Production, Web Development, and Creative Design Services, provides campus leadership in planning, coordinating and implementing communication programs that foster increased awareness, understanding and support of UC Riverside’s mission, vision, accomplishments, and needs among its many internal and external constituencies. It serves as the official voice of UC Riverside to regional, state, national and international news media. We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated Speechwriter and Communications Specialist, and that person could be you!
About this Position
Working in a high-tempo setting with frequent deadlines, the Speechwriter and Communications Specialist is responsible for managing a busy workload of Chancellorial communications. In conjunction with the Office of Strategic Communications, the Office of the Chancellor, and university leadership, the incumbent will help advance a strategic communications framework that builds on wide engagement, insightful analysis, and thoughtful discourse. Duties include researching and writing speeches, talking points, correspondence, opinion pieces, white papers, magazine pieces, and briefings. Please note: Applicants for this position will need to submit samples of their work/portfolios for review by the selection committee.
About UCR: Distinguished by more than 50 years of high-impact research, UC Riverside is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities at home and abroad- air, water, energy, transportation, agriculture and more. With a population of more than 21,000 students, UCR is the most diverse campus in the prestigious 10 campus UC system and it is the eighth most diverse university in the nation. Recently named a “Next Generation University”, UCR has earned a national reputation for excellence in research, teaching and service.
- Graduation from college with a major in journalism, communications, or an allied field, or in a subject area related to the public information and writing specialty, and professional writing ability demonstrated by at least five years of professional writing for newspapers, magazines, radio, T.V., or web; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public communications.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience to produce targeted communications and speeches that are clear and accurate and appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Ability to translate complex material into concise, lively, straightforward prose.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in public communications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; with ability to work successfully as part of a communications team.
- Knowledge of active listening skills and ability in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Demonstrated skill in collaborating with a professional team working under stringent deadline requirements
- Master’s degree
- Experience working in or covering a university environment. Knowledge of a broad range of academic and institutional issues related to a major research university environment.
- Experience in journalistic reporting and writing, opinion piece frameworks, and coordinating written work from conception to delivery.
In the heart of inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #8 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2012-13). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 46th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2012-13) and is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview (http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/employees/new_employee/orientation.html).
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/zzsdvcf
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.