Edutopia, the influential publisher of videos and stories about what works in education, is seeking an ambitious journalist for a full-time Senior Writer/Editor role. The Senior Writer/Editor will demonstrate a high degree of skill in researching, pitching, reporting, and writing new stories; shaping and packaging content for maximum engagement; and working closely with members of the broader creative team to enhance stories visually through data, photography, illustration, video, and animations.
This position reports to the Chief Content Officer.
What You’ll Do:
- Pitch, research, write, assign and/or edit original, on-brand feature articles and multimedia packages with an eye towards educational innovations, emerging national trends and new research in pre-K-12 education
- Lead mission-critical beats for Edutopia, collecting pitches, creating compelling lineups, and seeing stories through to publication
- Interview experts and influencers for Q&As and reported pieces; from time to time, conduct on-camera interviews, assemble and review footage, and produce high-quality videos
- Build or leverage an existing network of credentialed, professional external journalists, communicating regularly while soliciting new pitches and assigning new stories
- Monitor the preK-12 education landscape across all channels to jump on coverage opportunities and plan long-term content on educational innovations, emerging trends, new research and changemakers and influencers
- Pitch social and video ideas and extensions of your stories.
- Be active on social media, including as a regular contributor to Edutopia’s influential social channels
- Manage and provide expert editorial guidance to junior team members and IC contributors, overseeing story approval and editing
- Ability to act as a video producer on external school productions, researching the school then managing all communications, release/legal issues, camera and audio crews, and scheduling is a strong plus
Who You Are:
- You are an intellectually curious, deadline-oriented writer and editor with at least 5 years of professional experience in digital media; a degree in journalism or a related field is a plus
- You are a strong, experienced reporter with a background in journalistic beats like education, the environment, tech, health, or culture; experience in education reporting is a strong plus
- You are a role model for more junior editorial staff members
- You are a versatile, agile writer who turns in clean, well-formed copy
- You’re exceptional at sharing, translating, and directing information to colleagues and independent consultants in a virtual work environment
- You have experience with video storytelling and/or a willingness to work with our video team to learn video storytelling
- You are familiar with the Edutopia brand and its orientation towards solutions journalism and its particular voice and audience—and able to write and edit with the voice and audience in mind
- You’re an enthusiastic collaborator, a positive team player, and you have a willingness to “do what it takes” in support of the collective effort
- You are driven by a passion to radically improve the experiences of students and educators; you consistently demonstrate a desire to learn and grow
What else you should know:
- The position is full-time and based remotely anywhere in the United States.
- The full-time salary range is between $75,000 and $108,000, with exact salary depending on experience and geographic location.
- The George Lucas Educational Foundation also offers excellent benefits, including an employer match to your retirement fund.
We are looking for outstanding journalists with a passion for digital media and an instinct for finding and developing great education stories—wherever they are. Some travel required. Candidates of color and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
When applying, please provide URLs of your relevant digital work, including any relevant work in the field of education journalism or solutions journalism.
About the George Lucas Educational Foundation
The George Lucas Educational Foundation is dedicated to transforming prekindergarten through 12th grade (pre-K to 12) education so all students can acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to thrive in their studies, careers, and adult lives. Founded by innovative and award-winning filmmaker George Lucas in 1991, the Foundation takes a strategic approach to improving pre-K to 12 education through two distinct areas of focus: (1) Edutopia, which uses digital media and interactive technology to increase knowledge, sharing, and adoption of what works in education, and (2) Lucas Education Research, which conducts rigorous research in collaboration with university partners, research firms, and leading educators to identify and evaluate replicable practices at the student, teacher, and school level that profoundly and positively impact the course of learning and lifelong achievement. A nonprofit, nonpartisan 501(c)(3) private foundation that is operated for educational purposes, we welcome all who are devoted to improving education.
The George Lucas Educational Foundation strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.