Senior Writer/ Press Secretary
Who We Are: Education Post is a new non-profit, non-partisan communications organization dedicated to driving a better conversation about school reform and building support for student-focused improvements in public education from preschool to high school graduation. With a focus on toning down political rhetoric and emphasizing results, Education Post will spotlight the work and elevate the voices of educators across the country, with an emphasis on three main issues: high academic standards, accountability, and high-quality charter schools/school choice. We also will partner with like-minded organizations and civic leaders to provide support and strategy where it’s needed. Visit our webpage educationpost.org for more details.
Who We Want: The ideal candidate will have 5 to 7 years experience in education writing or policy, public affairs or nonprofit communications. The applicant must be an excellent writer and communicator and possess a bachelor’s degree in a related field. The position is based in Chicago.
Job responsibilities: These would be fluid, as they are in any new startup organization, but would include the following:
- Writing and editing op-eds, speeches, talking points, and blog content
- Support the Director of Communications in building relationships with local and national reporters and influential education bloggers; secure news placements
- Fact-checking and synthesizing research on a range of education policy issues
- Creating a news roundup that summarizes and highlights the most relevant breaking news and blog items on a daily basis
- Supporting the Director of Messaging (Managing Editor) and the Director of Communications in their team functions.
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Entrepreneurial spirit with ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-moving, ever-changing environment
- Ability to articulate and defend your point of view, work on a team, compromise when needed, and possess a good sense of humor
- Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct rapid-fire research on a range of education policy issues nationwide
- A storyteller who can translate complex issues into crisp, cogent narrative for an array of audiences
- Able to work at a fast pace without compromising quality or long term goals/ projects
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and a “no excuses” mentality
- Creative and skilled at identifying and seizing opportunities for the organization to reach key audiences
- Knowledge of and experience with social media a plus
- Previous media affairs or journalism experience a plus
- Mission driven; commitment to social justice and educational equity a plus
Compensation: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; a competitive benefits package is also included.
To Apply: The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications should include a current resume, a cover letter tailored to this specific position and detailing salary requirements, and one writing sample. Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education Post is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.