United Federation of Teachers
Major education union seeks an experienced journalist to join its communications staff. The candidate must demonstrate substantial knowledge of New York City public education. Excellent writing, research and investigative reporting skills are essential. Experience as a public school teacher a plus.
Duties include writing news and features for the union’s website and its monthly newspaper. In addition, the reporter will be versed in Twitter and able to provide background information and research assistance to the UFT’s external press department as needed.
The writer should be able to file breaking news stories on deadline, write compelling features on educators’ working lives and noteworthy school programs, and write news stories and analysis on education funding in the state and city budgets as well as city and state policies that affect the public school system. He or she should be able to research and write news analysis with accompanying charts on test-score results, teacher attrition and other education topics.
The candidate will support other communication initiatives and perform other related duties as assigned by the director of member communications.
- Graduate degree preferred
- Must be versed in urban education issues and able to demonstrate knowledge of the issues
confronting the UFT and public education
- At least five years of reporting experience
- First-rate writing and editing skills
- Computer-assisted reporting skills
- Knowledge of and commitment to the labor movement
- Attention to detail and able to juggle tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure work environment
- A team player who contributes ideas and feedback in a productive manner and pitches in to
help projects move forward
- Willingness to occasionally work weekends and late nights
The strongest candidates will also be able to use proprietary and public data to report, uncover trends and make comparisons. Knowledge of Excel, Access or other statistical software and an ability to create simple, compelling charts and graphics is a major plus.
Equal opportunity employer. Competitive salary and benefits.
Submit your resume, 3-4 clips and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.