Senior Editor/Writer – Washington, D.C.
The Education Trust
The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premiere education advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for the most vulnerable students including low-income students and students of color, seeks a Senior Editor/Writer.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Senior Editor/Writer will both create and help shape the organization’s diverse written content, ranging from data-rich research papers and policy briefs to blog posts, promotional materials, and advocacy action alerts. At The Education Trust, we believe in the power of words to advance our mission to close achievement gaps, and the Senior Editor/Writer will play an essential role in making sure those words are accessible to those who are committed to doing this work.
The Senior Editor/Writer’s primary responsibility is to work closely with members of the Editorial and Design Team to ensure the clarity and accuracy of the Education Trust’s editorial products. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Edit (substantive and copy-edit), proofread, and fact-check a wide array of online and print documents such that they are clearly written, accessible, and error-free.
- Report for and contribute written content to a variety of editorial products, including policy briefs and reports, advocacy and marketing materials, web and social media content, and blog posts.
- Manage, maintain, and monitor our blog, The Equity Line.
- Efficiently lead and manage editorial and production process for written products.
- Interpret data-rich materials and work with designers and authors to create high-quality, informative, and reader-friendly graphics.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to help them improve their writing. May include coordinating and delivering in-house writing and editing workshops for select staff.
- Manage in-house style guide and promote awareness of guidelines throughout the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of eight years of experience in writing and editing. Journalism experience covering K-12 and higher education, public policy, and social justice is preferred. Prior work in a policy and/or advocacy organization is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a superior command of English grammar and punctuation.
- Strong command of Associated Press and Chicago styles.
- Experience working with content management systems.
- Demonstrated capacity to thrive in a high-performing and highly collaborative environment.
- Proven success with managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible, organized, and highly responsive.
- Commitment to organizational mission.
- Ability to read, write, and edit Spanish is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and at least three samples (combination of writing and editing) to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter, resume, and samples into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file. To begin the application process, click this link: https://edtrust.org/jobs/senior-editorwriter/
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.