Alliance for Excellent Education
About the Organization
The Alliance for Excellent Education is a Washington, DC-based national policy and advocacy organization that works to improve national and federal policy so that all students can achieve at high academic levels and graduate from high school ready for success in college, work, and citizenship in the twenty-first century. The Alliance focuses on America’s six million most at-risk secondary school students—those in the lowest achievement quartile—who are most likely to leave school without a diploma or to graduate unprepared for a productive future. See all4ed.org/about for more information.
Reporting to the vice president of communications, the senior editor/writer will create, help shape, and manage the production of the organization’s diverse written content, ranging from public materials such as reports, fact sheets, and policy and issue briefs, internal documents such as reports to funders and the Alliance’s Board of Directors, and scripts for webinars and short videos. The senior editor/writer will play an essential role in ensuring that the Alliance’s written products are accessible to the full array of people who are committed to ensuring that all students graduate from high school college and career ready.
The senior editor/writer’s primary responsibility is to work closely with members of the Alliance’s staff to ensure that all written products are clear, accurate, and produced in a timely fashion. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Edit (substantive and copyedit) a wide array of online and print documents so that they are clearly written, accessible, and error-free.
- Write and contribute to timely, engaging, and accurate web articles, blog posts, and other print and online content to advance the organization’s policy agenda and mission.
- Efficiently manage editorial process for print and online content, including working with the content lead, designer, and vice president of communications to develop and adhere to publication timelines.
- Interpret data-rich materials and work with designers and authors to create high-quality, informative, visually attractive, and reader-friendly materials and graphics.
- Develop new products and means of communication.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to help them improve their writing. May include coordinating and delivering in-house writing and editing workshops for select staff.
- Manage in-house style guide and promote awareness of guidelines throughout the organization.
Qualifications and Experience
The Alliance is looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of five years of experience in writing and editing. Journalism experience covering K-12 and higher education, public policy, and social justice is preferred. Prior work in a policy and/or advocacy organization is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a superior command of English grammar and punctuation.
- Experience in writing for online publications.
- Strong command of Chicago style.
- Demonstrated capacity to thrive in a high-performing and highly collaborative environment.
- Proven success with managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible, organized, and highly responsive.
- Commitment to organizational mission.
- Strong design sensibility.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Alliance for Excellent Education, Attn: Vice President, Finance & Administration, 1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 901, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.
The Alliance engages employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, or any other characteristic covered by law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.