Senior Editor, Education
The Atlantic - Washington, DC - Full Time
The Atlantic is looking for a senior editor to guide our coverage of education, including child development. To apply for this role, you should be an awesome editor, able to strengthen the work of both experienced reporters and emerging contributors. We’ll be especially impressed if you can show us a strong portfolio of coverage you’ve overseen, particularly on matters of youth and education. We’re looking for candidates who think expansively about the development of young minds inside and outside of the classroom, and the vast range of subjects that touch on this theme—nutrition, parenting, the effects of trauma, the effects of play, federal policy, municipal budgets, school discipline, and much more. You should be comfortable guiding both smart, fast-paced, news-driven coverage and ambitious, enterprising reporting, and you should value a demographically and intellectually diverse mix of perspectives in the coverage you oversee.
- Oversee The Atlantic’s coverage related to education and child development.
- Brainstorm, assign, and commission stories that distinguish our coverage.
- Edit material from staff and contributors.
- Guide strategy around education coverage.
- Develop a strong understanding of The Atlantic’s audiences and potential audiences for coverage of education, and how to reach them.
- Work with staff to develop coverage plans, anticipate the news, and ensure a robust, relevant flow of reporting.
- Supervise journalists dedicated to education.
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
1. Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
2. Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.