The Seventy Four
The Seventy Four is seeking an education editor to join its senior leadership team and assist in the expansion of its growing digital newsroom. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a high-energy entrepreneurial environment, eager to both oversee daily beat coverage and steer long-form features and investigations.
We are looking for an editor that can steer the ideation process as well as help shape and hone authoritative education coverage from our senior reporters and outside contributors. The ideal candidate will be a proven big thinker, an organized traffic controller and an effective line editor, with a demonstrated history of newsroom leadership.
While prior education experience is not necessarily required, candidates should be ambitious editors with a track record in building beats and informed journalists with clear opinions on what’s working, and what’s not, in the current education system.
- Edit a mix of daily news posts, opinion columns and features about national, state, and local education matters and politics
- Work closely with the Editorial Director to brainstorm, maintain and execute a monthly calendar of special projects and investigations that will cut through the noise and drive the conversation.
- Keep abreast of trends, developments, leaders and challenges in education around the country
- Be an active source of ideas in daily and weekly edit meetings
- Work with production, social media and research teams to experiment with new approaches to storytelling, data presentation and social amplification
- Collaborate with senior editors across the newsroom in developing articles, graphics, videos and photo essays that shine a light on the problems, solutions and personalities shaping U.S. education.
- Assist with organization and execution of the daily publication schedule
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism, communications, public policy or other related field
- 5+ years of steering a beat, overseeing team of daily reporters, or steering larger projects that broke news
- Familiarity with core issues and debates driving the modern education policy discussion
- Established presence on social media and comfort in using various social networks to reach both readers and influentials
- Willingness to work the occasional flexible shift.
- Comfortable in a dynamic, always-changing digital news environment; willingness to build a new media brand and able to adapt as necessary
New York City
Extremely competitive (Commensurate with experience)
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.