Senior Director of Research
ABOUT EL EDUCATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
EL Education seeks a full-time Senior Director of Research to lead the organization’s creation and execution of an innovative, field-leading research agenda aligned with its strategic plan. The individual in this position will develop new research and evaluation projects as well as overseeing and improving the organization’s systems of continuous improvement for equity.
The ideal candidate has a passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for all students, and a belief that students and teachers are capable of “more than they think possible.” The successful candidate combines expertise in educational research methods and results, including research on “non-cognitive skills,” with a talent for making complex information meaningful to diverse audiences. The candidate works well in a mission-focused collaborative work culture, and can navigate ambiguity and find solutions for complex problems.
The Research Director reports to the Chief Knowledge Officer.
Primary responsibilities of the Director of Research:
EL Education’s Senior Director of Research will oversee EL Education’s annual program of data collection, continuous improvement, and multiple research projects. Primary responsibilities include identifying and addressing needs for additional data, measurement, and reporting to meet strategic goals; development of internal and external research projects; oversight of the Dimensions Data Platform; leadership in assessment of student progress and outcomes in three dimensions of student achievement. The Director will help to translate research agendas into operationalizable plans, and promote the understanding and utilization of research across the organization. Lastly, the Senior Director of Research leads the improvement of our data collection, reporting, and management systems to provide timely, meaningful, equity-focused information for stakeholders across the product ecosystem.
Development of EL Education Research and Measurement Agenda
- Contribute to the development of a multi-year research agenda for EL Education.
- Collect and review new and existing measures of character: synthesize results.
- Assist in the development of surveys, observations, and other measures of teacher and student outcomes.
- Participate in the development of recommendations for EL measures of teacher, student, and school outcomes.
- Participate in developing structures, processes, and professional development for the implementation of student outcome measures across the organization.
- Lead envisioning of systematizing of continuous improvement for equity in work with district and school partners
- Oversee execution of plan for embedding continuous improvement for equity systems in all aspects of EL’s work with partners, including data identification, collection, and reporting, development of growth mindsets, interpretation of results, and decisions regarding next steps.
- Ensure continuity across systems for continuous improvement, progress monitoring, teacher practice, and student outcomes in all three dimensions of achievement.
- Analyze data from EL and external sources to determine progress in implementation of EL literacy curriculum and student outcomes.
Data Systems, Analysis and Reporting
- Ensure maintenance and updating of existing school and network databases owned by EL Education
- Oversee collection, entry of annual school-, district, and state-level data for all active EL schools, and regular report preparation
- In collaboration with a cross-departmental team, develop and maintain a dashboard that displays and summarizes key program indicators and performance metrics
- Work with consultants to audit, assess and upgrade data systems that track teacher, school, and student inputs, outputs, and outcomes in EL Education partner schools.
- Work with data team to produce specialized reports for program staff, Board, school partners, funders, and others.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to create meaningful understanding and use of research results in a wide variety of products (reports, charts, visualizations) and presentations.
- Build on functions of existing data platform to meet needs of school and district partners
- Collaborate with the Product Team to design next-stage functionality and monetization of data platform
- Collaborate with the Content Team to develop data systems for curriculum-embedded digital assessments
Leadership, Supervision and Management
- Collaborate with EL leadership in developing strategic endeavors that expand the impact and reach of our work.
- Lead development of research proposals, evaluation sections, and collaborative projects with external researchers for grants from government, institutional funders.
- Support the professional development of EL Education staff and partners in analyzing and strategically using data.
- Serve as lead for the Research Advisory Board, developing communications, events, and expanding the Board as appropriate.
- Supervise the Research Team staff, including Director of Continuous Improvement, Director of Literacy Assessment, Manager, Data and Analytics, and Data Analyst.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a doctoral degree and at least five years of relevant experience. Candidates must be passionate about educational equity and possess a balance of technical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- A passion for improving K-12 education so that all students reach their potential, succeeding beyond what they believed possible in all three dimensions of student achievement.
- A doctoral degree in education, educational psychology, economics, educational statistics, or a related field (ABD accepted).
- Proficiency in educational research, including quantitative and qualitative data methodologies and analysis, and an understanding of how to address bias in the research process.
- Experience working with educational data, including understanding of state and federal education data sources, and statistical software applications.
- Expertise in innovative approaches to measuring social-emotional learning as well as other skills, mindsets, and achievement in both the learning environment and student growth.
- Demonstrated ability to translate quantitative results into compelling, informative written, visual, and verbal communications for non-technical audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and consistent focus on quality with strong project management and supervision skills.
- Ability to lead a team to successfully plan and carry out a variety of research-related projects, and deeply engaging partners as well as stakeholders across an organization in cross-team collaboration to design and carry out the work.
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY
Apply on our website. Candidates must attach their resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format and answer a short questionnaire. Anticipated start date: November 2021. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.