Senior Case Study Writer
Urban Education Institute
The To&Through Project at the UChicago Urban Education Institute (https://toandthrough.uchicago.edu/) partners with educators, policymakers, and communities to provide actionable data on student attainment and lead conversations to help them make meaning of data and take action towards increasing the number of historically underserved students who earn a high school and postsecondary degree.
Through this work the To&Through Project leads a variety of initiatives including:
- facilitating professional development for educators and practitioners, including leading the Middle Grades Network (MGN), a network of middle grades educators committed to building more equitable and supportive educational environments that promote the success of middle grades students in high school and beyond.
- designing data tools and resources for education stakeholders that make data meaningful and actionable, including the publicly available To&Through Online Tool
- convening leaders for Data Collaboratives and convenings to foster conversation about what matters most for students’ high school and post-secondary success.
The To&Through team is a small, close-knit group of analysts and practitioners who are deeply committed to make schools in Chicago more equitable for marginalized students. We strive to create a highly personable, collaborative, and reflective culture that encourages people to bring their whole selves to work. We try to live out our values (care for each other, practice anti-racism, have integrity, be creative and curious, and respect all forms of expertise) not only in the work we produce, but also in the rituals and routines that hold our team together: meetings on racial equity, feedback sessions, book groups, retreats, coffee chats, and supervisor/supervisee feedback.
The To&Through Project is expanding its work to include an explicit focus on qualitative data in the form of case studies meant for professional learning and curriculum. The case studies will focus on the experiences of educators and students in Chicago, simulating critical decisions, asking probing questions, and documenting equitable practices.
The job independently writes a variety of communications for the University. Works with minimal guidance to research, compose, and edit high-level communications, publications and/or reports with complex and specialized subject matter.
The Project is hiring a Senior Case Study Writer with education and writing experience to lead the development of case studies, with a focus on the college access and success space. Working closely with the Offices of School Counseling and Postsecondary Advising (OSCPA) at CPS, the person will spend considerable time in schools, observing, interviewing, and making meaning of educator and student experiences.
Educator case studies will focus on both the dilemmas that educators struggle with and the practices that lead to improved outcomes. Examples of educator case studies could include counselors’ approaches to advising students on when to submit test scores during the application process, alumni support offices connecting graduates to resources during summer melt, teacher teams using an equity lens to tackle differences in student outcomes by subgroup, or college based student success offices helping students navigate the transfer process.
Student case studies will focus on the experiences of students in the college application, enrollment, and persistence phases of the transition, and how changes in higher education are affecting those experiences. Examples of student case studies include applying for emergency funds and scholarships, deciding whether to attend a 2-year or 4-year college, navigating primarily white institutions as a BIPOC student, and handling a college transfer or leave.
The Senior Case Study Writer will report to the Associate Director of Engagement for the To&Through Project.
- Develop familiarity with case studies, in education and other fields
- Work with OSCPA and others to identify problems of practice and student experiences that would benefit from documentation and dialogue.
- Leverage research and data produced by the To&Through Data and Research team and others to inform topics
- Interview and observe school-based practitioners and students to gain a better understanding of and gather data on the contexts, practices, and experiences of practitioners and students
- Write compelling narratives that capture the essence of educators’ and students’ experience.
- Receive feedback on narratives and rework with an eye to specific audience and contexts (e.g. professional learning or curriculum)
- Facilitate professional learning on case studies with educators
- Build and maintain relationships with a wide array of practitioners, in Chi-Rise schools and across CPS
- Work with the Associate Director of Engagement to develop guidelines and norms around the creation of case studies
- Contribute to the development of a dissemination strategy for case studies
- Participate in all To&Through meetings and activities and contribute to the culture of the To&Through Project.
- Location: Chicago (hybrid remote/in office work schedule available)
- Belief in the potential of all students, public schools, and the mission of The To&Through Project
- Commitment to educational equity, particularly to increasing the degree attainment outcomes for historically underrepresented Black and Latinx student populations
- Comfort interviewing school-based practitioners and students
- Ability to communicate stories through writing
- Ability to build relationships across areas of difference
- Commitment to ongoing self-reflection, professional learning, and growth
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently, with supervision, or in collaboration as a team member
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Location: Chicago (hybrid remote/in office work schedule available).
- Belief in the potential of all students, public schools, and the mission of The To&Through Project.
- Commitment to educational equity, particularly to increasing the degree attainment outcomes for historically underrepresented Black and Latinx student populations.
- Comfort interviewing school-based practitioners and students.
- Ability to communicate stories through writing.
- Ability to build relationships across areas of difference.
- Commitment to ongoing self-reflection, professional learning, and growth.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently, with supervision, or in collaboration as a team member.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Resume (required)
- Cover letter (required)
- Writing Sample (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
COVID-19 Vaccination or Approved Medical or Religious Exemption Required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.