Senior Associate Editor
ASCD is looking for a Senior Associate Editor. This role assists in the research and planning of theme issues of a 100-page internationally known magazine published nine times a year. The position acquires articles from internationally known authors, substantively edits many articles, reviews and evaluates manuscripts, writes articles, departments, and abstracts.
This position works collaboratively across groups to produce a high-quality ASCD member benefit on a timely basis and to coordinate its content with that of other ASCD products and services and with themes and issues deemed important by the members. This position cooperates with other work groups in efforts to meet ASCD strategic goals, such as building the capacity of schools for change and renewal and promoting quality education through structures that address both national and international issues.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Takes a leadership role in acquisitions for Educational Leadership. Acquires major articles for theme issues and coordinates necessary revisions of articles. Works with nationally and internationally known experts.
- Researches topics, trends, experts in education, and article ideas for theme issues of Educational Leadership (EL), with guidance from editorial team and with advice from internal and external planning committees.
- Substantively edits, reorganizes, and rewrites major articles and columns for EL under deadline pressures. Shepherds articles from selection through publication.
- Negotiates editing revisions with manuscript authors to craft articles that meet ASCD’s standards, serve readers, and meet ASCD’s goal of enhancing school capacity for change and renewal.
- Interacts on a professional level with experts and practitioners in the field.
- Writes feature articles, interviews, overviews, and departments of EL and other ASCD information products and services.
- Manages, compiles, and writes copy for Educational Leadership’s regular departments.
- Writes sidebars, boxes, summaries, callouts, photo captions, and abstracts of articles, project descriptions, online copy, and other features as assigned.
- As a member of the Manuscript Review Committee, reads and prepares written analyses of manuscripts being considered for publication.
- Works with potential authors to guide them in revising manuscripts.
- Assists EL team in the production process, proofs page proofs, and recommends art and graphic treatments for articles edited. Acquires photos from authors and secures permission to reprint photos, figures, and other elements when appropriate.
- Participates in ASCD advisory group meetings, such as the internal EL Advisory Committee as well as other ASCD teams and committees, such as ASCD Goal Groups.
- Assists in examination and improvement of processes in the planning, editing, and production of EL; suggests new spinoff projects; explores new ideas (departments and procedures, as well as products).
- Plays a significant role in helping manage social media outreach and digital content development.
- Represents EL and ASCD at internal and external functions as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned
- A four-year college degree in English, journalism, or education is preferred.
- A master’s degree is a plus.
Skills and Abilities
- Mastery of English language and substantive editing.
- Good understanding of the publications process, from manuscript acquisition to design, printing, and marketing.
- Knowledge of principles of typography and publications design.
- Broad, in-depth understanding of education issues and principles.
- Excellent critical analysis skills, as well as language arts, design, and editing skills, including substantive editing, writing, and evaluation.
- Intermediate to superior PC-compatible word-processing skills, preferably in Word.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and organizational ability, attention to detail, ability to work on complex projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- At least five years relevant job experience.
- Teaching experience a plus.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.