Senior Associate, Communications
Senior Associates play an essential role on the Whiteboard Advisors team as individuals responsible for leading client engagements and organizing efforts to provide unparalleled client service to every individual, organization, and company that W/A serves.
The Senior Associate will support the communications team with multi-dimensional approaches to understanding, framing, and solving client challenges. The ability to recognize client needs and respond to them effectively is essential. Comfort operating across all aspects of strategic communications is expected for this role. Successful candidates will be strong writers, strategic thinkers, and savvy students of what drives news.
Senior Associates typically support a portfolio of 7-8 clients by providing excellent project management, professional expertise, and intuitive client service that consistently exceeds expectations. Senior Associates ensure that the right resources are brought to bear to meet the demands of any situation. These members of the team draft and edit written deliverables (including strategic communications plans, press releases and op-eds, media pitches, and event proposals) and are responsible for ensuring that all deliverables meet the Whiteboard standard of excellence.
As client engagement leaders within the organization, Senior Associates are responsible for providing timely, accurate communication via various channels to their colleagues and to clients.
Senior Associates collaborate closely with individuals from across the team, and they are responsible for building an understanding of the resources available to them among peers and organizational
leaders and advisors to conduct novel and complex operations quickly.
Responsibilities will expand based upon each individual’s growth and development. Senior Associates typically progress from leading projects to leading teams over time.
- Develop and execute communications plans based upon strategies co-created with senior executives.
- Provide outstanding client service.
- Review and provide critical feedback on internal deliverables.
- Drafts strong first drafts of press releases, op-eds, and other written materials.
- Conceptualize and develop plans for events and activities that support client needs.
- Manage client phone calls and meetings, including sending agendas, establishing clear next steps and ensuring follow-up notes are submitted to clients in a timely manner.
- Bring creativity and thoughtfulness to every task assigned with the intent of providing clients an outstanding experience every day.
- Approach work with a learning mindset and be open to giving and receiving candid feedback.
- Be prepared to do more than what is asked.
- Bring a critical eye to work and strive to develop and deliver final products that exceed expectations.
- Operate with wisdom and speed: fast-paced is your favorite pace; our clients expect speed, and so do we.
- Approximately 4-6 years of professional experience (Note: this is not an entry-level position).
- Strong preference for 3-5 years experience in a communications agency or similar role balancing multiple client projects.
- Demonstrated success in media relations.
- Experience managing projects and engagements; strong project management skills with ability to successfully manage multiple tasks at once.
- A track record of successful client or project management.
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills.
- Experience managing basic scheduling and administrative tasks.
- Willingness to learn new skills and develop subject matter expertise.
- Familiarity with education, workforce development, or social impact strongly preferred.
Note: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive at Whiteboard Advisors to apply for this role.
About Whiteboard Advisors
Whiteboard Advisors is a multidisciplinary consulting and communications firm. We design creative communications strategies to help transformative businesses and organizations achieve their goals. We conduct complex research and generate reports to inform the field. We advocate for policy, and help startups to scale across complex, fragmented markets. We track and report on public policy developments that impact the work of practitioners across the education and workforce ecosystem.
We are a team that cares deeply about and works daily to address issues of equity and access in education and the workforce. We aspire to be a place where every member of our team can bring their authentic, whole selves to work — and to bear on the work we do together. We strive to create a workplace that is not only equitable and just, but fosters a sense of belonging.
Like most organizations, we are far from perfect. Translating our values and aspirations into action is hard, ongoing work. We are working hard to ensure our values are reflected in the way we compensate and engage employees, and the choices we make about the clients we serve. We are striving to create a context where everyone is heard and individuals at every level of the organization can play a role in co-creating our future.
We hope that this post attracts applicants who will join us in not only doing jobs in service of our clients, but the often hard and messy work of building a culture and practices that reflect our organization’s intent.
Whiteboard Advisors provides equal employment opportunities to all employment applicants and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any type. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.