Seeking Education Writer
EdSource Today is seeking an experienced and creative reporter with excellent writing skills. The ideal candidate has a flair for distilling complex topics into clear, compelling prose and a knack for uncovering the human-interest story from within a thicket of policy documents. EdSource Today is the leader in California education journalism and we’re looking for a reporter who shares our passion for public education and coverage that is clear, accurate and authoritative.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, the highly regarded Oakland-based organization founded in 1977 to engage Californians on key education challenges. The successful applicant will be part of a growing team developing new ways to reach Californians on the multiple challenges affecting public education in California and nationally.
The editor of EdSource Today is veteran journalist John Fensterwald. EdSource is directed by Louis Freedberg, also a veteran California journalist.
EdSource Today is looking for a creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education.
Qualifications sought include:
* Outstanding writing skills, with a minimum of two-years professional experience in daily journalism.
* Eagerness to work as part of a growing team in a creative nonprofit journalism environment to build a unique service focused exclusively on education.
* Demonstrated track record using social media.
* Background in education reporting and children’s issues.
* Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as working as part of a team.
* Multimedia skills, including data visualization skills, and data analysis and computer-assisted reporting skills are a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Write lively and knowledgeable reports in a variety of styles and formats, including news, enterprise, analysis and in-depth stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution to other news outlets;
* Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team;
* Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
A competitive salary will be paid commensurate with experience.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, a 35-year-old nonprofit, non-partisan education and research organization whose mission is to inform and engage policymakers and the public on key education challenges, with the goal of improving learning outcomes for all students.
Send a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and four clips or other examples of your work to: email@example.com.
Please write Reporter Position in the subject line. Materials can be sent by regular mail to: EdSource Today, Reporter position, 436 14th St. Suite. 723, Oakland, CA 94612. Deadline: 5 p.m. Jan 15. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.