The Chronicle of Higher Education
The Chronicle of Higher Education is seeking a Reports Editor to join its lively and respected newsroom. This editor will work with experienced journalists to produce in-depth reports on a range of topics important to decision makers at colleges and universities nationwide.
Our reports help advance higher education’s mission: to serve students and society. They spark ideas for innovation, help administrators and faculty members understand how their institutions fit into the larger higher-education ecosystem, and give them the information and expert perspective they need to thrive. Recent reports have covered the academic workplace, the future of teaching, students’ mental health, diversity and inclusion, and retention strategies, among other subjects.
The ideal candidate will understand how higher education works and the challenges now facing the sector. You will have a demonstrated track record of editing journalism that informs and advises, managing several projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines, and collaborating with colleagues up and down the masthead.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with other Chronicle editors and reporters to brainstorm ideas for reports and collections of archival content.
- Establish and meet a series of deadlines for a share of approximately 15 products a year, from reporters’ filing dates through to product launch.
- Edit reports for content, clarity, and grace.
- Coordinate production with copy editors, top editor, photo and illustration editors, designers, and marketing staff.
- Write marketing copy and content summaries for readers.
- At least 3-5 years of experience as an editor and/or project manager.
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to plan, set priorities, and adjust as necessary.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with reporters to arrive at decisions about content, structure, and writing that both respect their expertise and best serve readers.
- Attention to detail, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Familiarity with the issues that preoccupy college leaders.
If this sounds like you, please send a resume, a cover letter describing your project-management experience, and three samples of your editing work with descriptions of how you improved on the original draft.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Chronicle of Higher Education has taken appropriate measures to ensure the safety of its staff members. We are currently working remotely with a focus on the safety, health, and wellbeing of our employees. This role will begin remotely until it is safe to return to the office. Our salaries are competitive with excellent benefits including five weeks of annual paid vacation.
The Chronicle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.