EdWeek Market Brief
EdWeek Market Brief, a business-focused publication that covers the K-12 marketplace, is seeking a contract reporter/writer.
Based in Bethesda, MD, EdWeek Market Brief (https://marketbrief.edweek.org), is a digital-first publication and membership service that produces journalism, analysis, and original data on the K-12 market. One of the primary objectives of EdWeek Market Brief is to give companies, nonprofits, and other organizations that are either doing business with schools or studying the market insights on schools’ most pressing needs and priorities.
EdWeek Market Brief’s parent company is Editorial Projects in Education (EPE), a nonprofit media organization that serves the nation’s leading K-12 policymakers, educators, researchers, marketers, and other influencers with informed, independent, and highly-respected journalism and research, with the goal of improving U.S. K-12 education. EPE also oversees the digital-first publication Education Week.
In addition, EdWeek Market Brief also seeks freelance reporters with experience reporting on business issues, and an interest in education.
This is a six-month, temporary contract reporter/writer position that will require approximately 32 hours of work per week. Compensation will be on an hourly wage of between $40 and $45 an hour, based on skills and experience.
This position requires solid business reporting skills and a strong curiosity and interest in education. The reporter hired will be asked to perform a number of essential tasks for EdWeek Market Brief, which include but are not limited to reporting and writing on trends and breaking news developments in the K-12 market; promoting content and reaching new audiences via social-media; participating in webinars and other live events; and helping with in-depth research we’re conducting on the marketplace. We need someone who is digitally savvy, conscientious, and solution-focused, who thrives in the fast-paced and ever-changing environment that is digital news, and who is willing to take on multiple tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree, 1-3 years related experience in a news/media/information organization.
- A strong grasp of business issues, including the flow of venture capital, the work of publicly traded and privately operated companies, and business strategy.
- Knowledge of the field of K-12 education or a hunger to learn more about it.
- Strong news judgment; ability to recognize news and trends in education and conceptualize appropriate stories and other content with an eye to audiences of district leaders and educational technology leaders.
- Skilled research, reporting, and writing abilities.
- Curiosity about reader analytics and the ability to use data about audience trends to steer content.
- Strong desire and ability to embrace and learn new technologies.
EdWeek Market Brief and its parent organization, EPE, is a vibrant workplace that is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Bethesda, MD. We are within short walking distance of numerous restaurants and shops, the Metro, and are adjacent to the Capital Crescent Trail.
To apply for the contractor position please send resume, cover letter, and five writing samples to EdWeek Market Brief Managing Editor Sean Cavanagh at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send inquiries about freelance opportunities to the same address.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.