The Job Opening
The Reporter position will be responsible for both original enterprise stories and custom versions of mainstream media stories pertaining to education policy. Topics will include, but not be limited to: teacher evaluation, tenure reform, charter schools, vouchers, tax credit scholarships, online learning, homeschooling, inter-district choice, parent trigger, school funding, Common Core state standards, student assessments and teacher unions.
The Reporter will:
- Research, pitch and write stories;
- Cultivate sources and obtain original quotes;
- Schedule and conduct Skype interviews;
- Manage partnerships with traditional local newspaper and television media on stories;
- Develop publicity strategies around major stories;
The Reporter will report to the Executive Director, Choice Media.
Choice Media does not require a bachelors degree if the candidate can produce writing samples that successfully demonstrate capability. Journalism and/or Public Relations experience preferred.
They ideal candidate has the following characteristics:
- A writer who can produce clear, tight narratives in a timely fashion
- A self-starter who doesn’t need constant management
- Familiar with the issues and concepts of education policy and reform
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Can accept direction with a professional attitude
- Good on the phone; Can foster relationships easily
- Has a good grasp of social media techniques to promote and distribute stories across platforms
- Bonus points: Familiarity with video editing
Founded in 2011, Choice Media is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit and a leading content aggregator and producer of news, videos and film pertaining to American schools. The simple premise is education is the least covered subject in the American media relative to its importance and ubiquity. To the extent coverage does exist, it’s usually shallow and sensational, along the lines of school shootings or personality stories involving one school. We seek to fill that vacuum.
The @ChoiceMediaTV twitter newswire is one of the most robust daily newswires in the sector. We also provide the web’s only education news database, searchable by state, and the only national online education conference event calendar.
In addition to our national web, Twitter and video content, we’ve also increasing our focus on local markets. We sponsor and organize the annual New Jersey School Choice summit, featuring bipartisan panels of legislators, educators and activists. We recently created PhillySchoolChoice.com, a website, television, radio and online promotional campaign targeting reform in the schools of Philadelphia. Plans for a third local market focus are presently underway.
Between $30,000 – $50,000, commensurate with experience. Medical insurance included after trial period.
Choice Media offices are just outside New York City in New Jersey. Non-local candidates will be considered, but only in the case of the most highly experienced writers.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.