Reporter, Higher Ed
How can technology impact teaching and learning? What’s really working and what’s not? What do educators and entrepreneurs need to know? These are the questions we ask everyday at EdSurge, the leading source for edtech news.
We are seeking a Reporter who will help build our coverage of higher education and the role that technology has in it. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a young reporter to develop deep expertise in higher education and build great storytelling and reporting skills.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Lives and breathes journalism
- Is deeply curious about how technology is changing the way we live, work and learn
- Dreams about becoming an expert in the fast-changing world of education technology
In this job you will:
- Help define the editorial strategy for higher education
- Work closely with the Higher Ed editor to source and cover original stories
- Write 2-3 articles each week, in addition to summarizing announcements, news and reports
- Cultivate and manage contributing writers from the world of higher education
- Support occasional projects with a senior researcher from the R&D projects
- Support community-building efforts, including attending and/or reporting from events, and participating with EdSurge LOOP and monthly #DLNchats
- Basic understanding of major education, business, and finance issues
- Consistently rock deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance (yet unafraid to seek help when needed)
- Write and edit exceptionally
- Have a degree in journalism or two years’ experience in a news or reporting environment
- Passion and curiosity for developing expertise in the higher education ecosystem
- Extra points if you have experience with HTML, infographics and basic data visualizations!
- Employee health care
- Pick your laptop and desk setup (e.g. monitors)
- Three weeks mandatory vacation (not the “unlimited” that never seems to happen….)
- Work from home one day a week (Our offices are in Burlingame and Oakland)
EdSurge has offices in Burlingame, CA and Oakland, CA. Both are a short walk from public transit including BART.
EdSurge is a high growth, venture-backed news and information resource organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to connect the users, buyers and builders of education technology to close the opportunity gap by getting the right tools into classrooms. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys. We sometimes do science experiments in the office because—well, why not?
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to Jeffrey R. Young at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.