The Center for Public Integrity
The Center for Public Integrity, a national nonprofit investigative news organization, seeks a reporter to focus on issues of racial, gender and economic inequality in education.
The ideal candidate will have experience in data-driven investigative reporting about education and deep knowledge of the historical context and modern drivers of inequality in public and private education.
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here, please apply and tell us how your own experiences would equip you for the job.
• Use sources, documents, data reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and write exclusive stories and investigative projects about education inequality.
• Collaborate with the editor on story and project ideas, including developing outreach strategies for those projects and stories. Key to those strategies is identifying, building, and supporting reporting and distribution partnerships with news outlets.
• Work with the team leader and the communications, development, and web teams to maximize the impact and reach of these stories and projects, including building an audience using social media tools and creating appealing multimedia and social media content.
• Compile documentation to facilitate fact checking of articles you write.
• Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Personnel Policy Manual and Employee Handbook.
• Other duties as assigned.
• At least seven years of experience as a journalist, including deep-dive reporting about education.
• An ability to find illuminating stories about inequality in education; to craft attention-getting, in-depth, vibrant, and well-organized narratives; and to meet deadlines.
• A track record of graceful writing that demonstrates meticulous attention to detail and rigorous adherence to the highest standards of accuracy and fairness.
• Exceptional organizational skills and a proven ability to work collegially with others.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and training.
To apply: All applications should include a cover letter, a resume and several examples of your work. Apply here.
This job is within the bargaining unit represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035 and would be subject to a collective bargaining agreement covering the bargaining unit.
The Center for Public Integrity is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Public Integrity is committed to employment, advancement, and leadership opportunities that ensure diversity of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, and/or military or veteran status.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.