Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of public education in America, is seeking a reporter to join our Colorado team.
Chalkbeat’s Colorado bureau is looking for a smart, enterprising reporter who can pioneer our higher education coverage, bringing the same relentless focus on equity and opportunity that we bring to our coverage of K-12 and early childhood issues. Colorado has one of the nation’s most educated populations, but there are huge gaps in the rate at which low-income students of color pursue higher education compared to their white, better-off peers. At the same time, innovative work is underway to expand college access. The state is also a leader in developing new models for training students for the workplace, but struggling to bring promising practices to scale. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about bringing policy stories to life and committed to making Chalkbeat the go-to source for stories about higher education in Colorado.
This position will also entail statehouse coverage from January to May, tracking both K-12 and higher education legislation as necessary.
This position will report to Chalkbeat’s Colorado bureau chief.
Who are you?
You are a strong enterprise reporter who can develop a beat from scratch. You believe journalism has an important role to play in highlighting problems and holding up solutions so more young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential. You’re adaptable enough to break news and carry out long-term projects. You approach complicated public policy issues with the nuance they deserve. You’re passionate about telling the human stories behind policy debates. You’re a team player who is enthusiastic about helping us connect with readers through events, social media, and newsletters. And you’re eager to visit schools and meet students and educators.
What background and skills do you have?
- Experience covering education, government, or public policy
- Experience with building sources and generating story ideas
- Comfort or experience working with data, research, and reports
- The ability to write clearly, cleanly, and on deadline for quick-take, daily, and longer-form stories
Note: We know there are great candidates who may not have all the skills we list, or who have other skills we haven’t thought of. If that sounds like you, please still apply and tell us more about yourself!
What will you be responsible for?
- Developing a strong source network that ensures our higher education coverage is telling the most essential stories.
- Pitching, reporting, and writing daily, weekly, and long-term enterprise stories on the higher education beat.
- Tracking key education legislation and ensuring Chalkbeat has a regular presence at the Capitol. This position will be the primary legislative reporter with the bureau chief providing additional statehouse coverage.
- Contributing to Chalkbeat’s social media presence and to our regular morning newsletter, as well as dedicated higher education and legislative newsletters.
- Building relationships with readers and key players in the local community through our occasional open office hours and other events.
This position is based in Denver and may involve occasional travel around the state.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 25 – January 1.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply
Please send links to five clips that best exemplify your work, a PDF of your resume, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to email@example.com by Dec. 15. Include “Higher Education Reporter” in the subject line.
Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.