Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization covering the story of public education in America, is seeking an ambitious reporter to join our Indiana bureau.
As a hub for educational change, Indiana is bursting with important stories to tell. Because of the extensive choice landscape, public education branches into many different schools, which compete for students and resources. Indianapolis Public Schools is undergoing a dramatic transformation that is redefining the role of a traditional public school district, and the district is currently searching for its next superintendent. Over the past two years, Chalkbeat has also been investigating the fast-growing, poor-performing virtual charter school sector.
We’re looking for a reporter who can hit the ground running on a beat. We want you to break news, pitch smart ideas, and execute both quick-turn daily stories and long-term enterprise work.
This reporter will cover education at the state level, translating how high-level decisions affect educators, families, and communities. Your reporting will examine how decisions about what and how to teach play out in the classroom, and how the state holds schools, students, and teachers accountable. You will explain how Indiana’s education policies and politics fit into national contexts. You will shed light on the state’s educational inequities, focusing on socioeconomic, racial, and other divides. You’ll also communicate and build relationships with readers and key players in the local community through our weekday newsletters, social media, and events.
Who are you?
- You are committed to local journalism and respect the transformative power a good story can wield.
- You’re a self-starter who is hungry to break news, eager to understand and inform vital public policy debates, and enthusiastic about creating new models for sustainable journalism.
- You’re a strong beat reporter who can develop reliable sources and beat the competition.
- You’ve got the ability to write a range of stories, from breaking news to enterprise and long-term investigative projects.
- Most importantly, you can serve as a guide for our readers — school personnel, education insiders, parents, students, and curious citizens — in explaining how education in Indiana works. And you’re not afraid to call its leaders to task when warranted.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!)
- Experience reporting on public policy issues and/or education. (We’re open to hiring veteran reporters and up-and-coming journalists alike.)
- A passion for education and the future of Indiana and its children.
- Specific knowledge about education issues and the state of Indiana are strong pluses, but not required.
- Experience in data journalism and visual production is a plus.
- Ability to report in a language other than English is a plus.
The position will be based at our Indianapolis office and report to our Indiana bureau chief.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply:
Please send links to five relevant clips, a PDF of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 24. Include “Indiana Reporter” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.