The Morning Call
The Morning Call is looking for an enterprising reporter to expand our education coverage, already considered one of the tops in the state of Pennsylvania.
This reporter would focus on trends in education, locally, regionally and statewide. In addition, this position would cover the Allentown and Bethlehem Area school districts, two of the largest, and poorest, districts in the state and an area of high interest to our readers.
This reporter should go beyond test scores and school board meetings and understand how to find great stories and tell them with compelling clarity. Previous experience as an education reporter is a plus but not a requirement.
This beat would pursue, in addition to covering our two biggest school districts, trending issue/investigative stories with a focus on the greater Lehigh Valley region and statewide.
The education reporter will help create premium content for mcall.com and other digital platforms that engages audiences and supports the newsroom’s mission. The reporter will bring the most compelling content the newsroom has to offer in text and other forms, including, when appropriate, video, audio, Facebook Live events, etc.
This reporter should be fluent in assessing audience through basic metrics and publishing on other platforms such as social media. You should be prepared to promote yourself, your work and The Morning Call through social channels, in broadcast media and at live events.
Tribune Publishing is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Because that’s the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- One to three years’ experience in journalism.
- Professional-level utilization of proper grammar, spelling, punctuation.
- Ability to write accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Knowledge of libel laws and adherence to Tribune Publishing and The Morning Call’s codes of ethics.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Competitive instincts.
- Ability to multitask and perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work independently when required while at the same time operate efficiently in a team dynamic.
- Maintain and acquire new skills on multiple digital platforms and evolving technologies.
- Familiarity with current events and newsmakers.
- Quick-turnaround skills.
- Basic familiarity with analytics and ability to translate data into tactics and strategies, including ability to use metrics from Chartbeat, Metrics For News, social and other tools.
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social platforms and ability to develop/follow best practices for social.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
Please send resume, cover letter and 4-6 clips to Senior Content Editor Jacqueline Palochko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.