Project Director, Communications
Location: Washington, D.C. or San Mateo, CA
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
About Digital Promise
Digital Promise is an independent, bipartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization authorized by Congress to spur innovation in education for all levels of learners. Positioned at the intersection of educators, entrepreneurs, and researchers, Digital Promise identifies, develops, and promotes strategies to improve all levels of education and provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy. Digital Promise is a fast-paced, growing, entrepreneurial organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration, and innovation.
About the Position
Digital Promise is seeking a mission-driven, innovative professional to serve as a Project Director, Communications with a specialty in strategy, media relations, content development and editing. This person will work closely with the Communications team as well as program staff from each of Digital Promise’s initiatives to support the development and implementation of the content strategy and editorial direction of Digital Promise communications. This person will be integral in shaping clear and concise messaging, developing content and content strategies, and executing on communications efforts.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with leadership to craft the strategic communications plan for Digital Promise.
- Develop and implement sound and measurable communications goals, tactics, and campaigns.
- Plan, write, edit, and proofread content (e.g., blog posts, press releases, white papers, social media messaging, talking points, ad copy, newsletters) for email, social media, websites, and other channels on a range of education-related topics
- Ensure a variety of content is clear, concise, and consistent with Digital Promise’s messaging, principles, and goals
- Conduct research and interviews to write stories for Digital Promise’s blog with an eye for storytelling and audience engagement
- Keeping knowledgeable of changing best practices for online and print media
- Collaborating to creatively and enthusiastically brainstorm unique ideas to build Digital Promise content inventory and communications strategy
- Managing production and editorial calendars and maintaining high editorial standards of quality and accuracy
- Partner and advise program and communications staff on content strategy and development.
- Identify opportunities to broaden and deepen our communications to our philanthropic and corporate partners
- Bachelor’s degree in communications/marketing, English, education, or related field is required; Masters preferred
- 8+ years of experience in communications/marketing, journalism, digital media, education or a related field
- Strong writing, copy-editing, and proofing skills, with demonstrated knowledge of and experience in AP Style writing and editing
- Knowledge of SEO and analytics best practices and strategies
- Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices in print and online formats
- Proven communication skills with internal teams and clients
- Strong self-direction, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience managing complex multimedia projects involving interactive, video, and audio components preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of Wordpress and social media platforms preferred
We also seek candidates with:
- A demonstrated commitment to improving education for students who have historically been underserved.
- Experience collaborating and communicating with cross-functional team members to ensure information is shared, projects are completed on time, and goals are reached
- Stellar organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage competing tasks, deadlines, requirements, and decisions
- Willingness to take initiative and see tasks through to completion
- A passion for education, a team mentality, creativity, and a positive “can-do,” “yes-and” spirit
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Please apply and submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements, along with two writing samples here:
Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible. Review will be on a rolling basis until the search is successful.
Digital Promise is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.