The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking a mission-driven Program Specialist to produce content for the nonprofit organization’s professional development events and website.
The Program Specialist will develop conference sessions on key issues in education and its coverage that deepen journalists’ understanding and expand their capacity to cover education effectively. Additionally, the specialist will produce online content, such as organizing webinars and writing blog posts. The job also involves contributing to grant proposals and reports, among other responsibilities.
This position offers a chance to grow and learn about issues such as teacher quality, school segregation, and expanding postsecondary success while connecting with journalists and experts around the country. Demonstrated initiative and success will lead to greater responsibility over time.
EWA’s mission is to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. As the national professional organization of journalists and others who care about high-quality education coverage, EWA has thousands of members benefiting from its training, resources, professional recognition, and customized support.
Located in the nation’s capital, EWA offers a challenging and dynamic work environment that values initiative, creativity, and enthusiasm for serving the cause of excellence in education journalism. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in every aspect of its mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop sessions for EWA conferences and webinars on timely topics in education and journalism, by framing issues, recruiting speakers, writing session descriptions, and leading speaker prep calls.
Research and track issues in education and journalism
Report on and help apply member feedback on EWA events.
Track fulfillment of specific grant commitments, including ensuring production, promotion and usage of grant-funded offerings and monitoring progress toward completion of commitments.
Research and write blog posts as needed for EWA.org on timely topics in education and its coverage.
Contribute to EWA performance reports for the board and others.
Carry out other regularly assigned duties (e.g. Latest news, #tellEWA) and tasks as needs arise.
Essential Skills and Traits
- Top-notch communications skills
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and conscientiously tackle tasks large and small
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree
- Background in or passion for K-12 and higher education issues or journalism a plus
- Experience in membership nonprofit organizations a plus
- Experience with grant management a plus
- Proficiency with G Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and basic CSS/HTML
- Proficiency with social media platforms and keen interest in learning new tools and systems
The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $50,000 per year, with growth potential. EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time staff:
- Paid annual and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Metro accessible office
- On-site fitness center
- Health/vision/dental coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short- and long-term disability coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to email@example.com. Be sure to include your salary expectations. Travel required. This is not a telecommuting position. No phone calls, please.
EWA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EWA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.