Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an enthusiastic and enterprising Program Specialist to advance our work to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education news coverage. Current and former journalists are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience covering higher education and/or Spanish-language proficiency are preferred but not required.
The Program Specialist will work to produce in-person seminars and online resources, including blog posts and other editorial content, aimed at helping journalists better cover education, among other priorities. This position offers a chance to grow and learn — and to connect with journalists and experts around the country. Demonstrated initiative and success will lead to greater responsibility over time.
As the national professional organization of members of the media who specialize in education, EWA believes high-quality education journalism plays a key role in helping to improve education. EWA has more than 3,000 members benefiting from its training, information, and customized support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop sessions for journalism conferences and webinars, including framing issues and recruiting speakers
- Write blog posts for EWA.org on timely topics, with a focus on education after high school
- Research and track issues in education and journalism
- Support EWA’s reporting fellowship and mentoring programs for working journalists
- Help manage and promote EWA’s database of experts on education
- Collect and analyze member feedback on EWA events and report results
- Provide timely, customized reporting help to individual journalists via private interactions or participation in EWA’s listservs
- Promote EWA resources and engage with members through social media
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Traits
- Top-notch writing, research, and verbal communications abilities
- Spanish-language proficiency preferred
- Collaborative team player who tackles tasks large and small with enthusiasm
- Demonstrated proficiency across digital platforms, including social media
- Ability to thrive under deadline pressure
- Attuned and responsive to the rapidly changing media landscape
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong project-management skills
- Takes initiative and demonstrates creativity
Bachelor’s degree required
One to two years of professional experience preferred
Background in journalism, education issues, or both areas preferred
Excellent computer knowledge; proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Google Apps required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and basic CSS/HTML a plus.
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time, full-year staff:
- Competitive Salary & Growth Potential
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Metro accessible office
- Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests and experience make this opportunity the right fit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your salary expectations. This is not a telecommuting position.
No phone calls, please.
EWA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.