Part-time Education Reporter
Nonprofit news and research org EdSurge is looking for a versatile part-time reporter who is passionate and knowledgeable about the people and ideas that shape education—especially during this period of extreme change and upheaval. The reporter will cover the trends and experiences of a wide cross-section of educators, students and entrepreneurs in early childhood, K-12 and higher education.
We welcome creative, confident and concise writers who can communicate complex ideas to our audience. Not every article will be 700-900 words long; sometimes charts and graphs do a better job at telling the story.
What makes you a great fit for this role? You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- What struggles are schools, students and educators facing during the pandemic?
- What’s really working? What’s not?
- Who is not being served by current models?
- Which emerging trends have the potential to transform education long-term?
- How are technology and the edtech industry reshaping education in a period of great change?
In this job you will:
- Report and write about 4-6 articles per month (both news and features).
- Pitch new stories and tackle assignments from editors.
- Develop and maintain networks of sources from across education.
- Rock deadlines.
- Participate in story and team meetings via Zoom.
- Contribute to overall EdSurge editorial efforts, helping edit staff stories and general contributors on occasion.
- Write newsletter copy and other collateral relating to published stories.
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- 2+ years professional reporting experience for a media outlet. (Education reporting preferred.)
- Ability to independently develop sources for stories, including students, teachers, administrators and researchers.
- A passion for education and learning—and curiosity about how both are changing.
- Outstanding writing and editing chops.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Bonus: Familiarity with image editing, content management systems and data visualization tools.
How to apply:
Send a resume, cover letter and three clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. This position is remote.
This is a fully-remote, part-time position for 20 hours/week. ISTE/EdSurge is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Must be eligible to work in the U.S. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
EdSurge is at the forefront of reporting on changes happening in education and their consequences. We do this through award-winning journalism, research and analysis. We share stories that elevate the voices and experiences of educators, entrepreneurs, researchers and other stakeholders working to support equitable opportunities for all learners.
Through our work, EdSurge aims to bridge the information gaps that often exist between those who drive change in education, and those they serve.
Founded in 2011, EdSurge was acquired in 2019 by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), where it operates as an independent news and research initiative.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is a nonprofit organization that works with the global education community to accelerate the use of technology to solve tough problems and inspire innovation. ISTE sets a bold vision for education transformation through the ISTE Standards, a framework for students, educators, administrators, coaches and computer science educators to rethink education and create innovative learning environments. ISTE hosts the annual ISTELive, one of the world’s most influential edtech events.
The organization’s professional learning offerings include online courses, professional networks, year-round academies, peer-reviewed journals and other publications. ISTE is also the leading publisher of books focused on technology in education.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.