Part-time Bi-Lingual Journalist Reporter
Public Citizens for Children & Youth
PCCY is seeking to hire a talented journalist with a demonstrable history of writing insightful articles that capture the impact of public policies on the lives of people. We are especially interested in hiring a reporter who can use real life stories to expose weaknesses in public safety-net, education and other public systems intended to create greater economic opportunity especially for families of color.
The selected journalist will be on the ground floor of PCCY’s launch of Dis/parities, a new reporting niche aimed at shining a light [of news] on the lives of parents and children of color living in Norristown and Pottstown, Pennsylvania. The news effort is being launched in partnership with The Urban League of Philadelphia and ACLAMO (Accion Comunal Latinoamericana de Montgomery County/or the Latin American Community Action of Montgomery County).
The position requires a self-motivated reporter who can create and produce accurate, informative and relevant reporting in these communities and engage four community residents as Community Media Fellows. Strong candidates for the position will have a track record of creating networks and building relationships to develop leads and inform news reporting; have knowledge of at least one, or both communities in which the journalist and Fellow will co-generate news coverage, Pottstown and Norristown, and highly developed social media knowledge and skills.
- Build a network of community leaders and other key contacts among the Black and Hispanic residents of Norristown and Pottstown who can help identify and build out compelling stories for news coverage in each of these communities.
- Identify with our partners two residents of each city to serve as eyes, ears and touchstones, and who will serve as Community Media Fellows and help generate news and build out context and background for stories.
- Assess with the Media Fellows, partners and others in the community unmet needs in the safety net, education or other public support systems aimed at generating opportunity that should, but is not, producing real benefits for Black and Hispanic families and produce a year-long reporting calendar that enables the production of 10 in-depth features/stories in each community.
- Offer informal training in the form of Zoom or in-person workshops for the Media Fellows such as: the basics of good reporting, how to create a strong news story outline, methods of interviewing sources and processes to get to final edit [of stories].
- Help create media relationships with news outlets to carry news produced by Dis/parities.
- Draft, edit and produce final copy for twenty feature stories and develop visual concepts and elements for social media dissemination of the stories.
- Work with PCCY to optimize its, and our partners, dissemination channels. Track and share creative and effective child advocacy messaging campaigns from other states/cities and consider how those examples can be applied to our work.
- Candidates must have a track record of being published and be able to write short-form and long-form news accounts as well as features.
- Candidates for this position must be outgoing, easy to work with, have a track record of meeting deadlines and being highly organized.
- Candidates must have a car and be able to work unconventional hours. This position requires you to attend events or meetings that may occur on weekends or outside the “9 to 5” window.
- Candidates must have a passion for being well-informed about events, relationships and what is happening in these communities.
- Strong verbal bi-lingual English and Spanish skills
- Knowledge of video-production and social-media savvy a plus.
- Able to build trusting relationships with racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Experience as an editor or experience editing is a plus.
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary: This part time position pays $35,000
Apply: Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.