Outreach and Engagement Associate/Coordinator
Data Quality Campaign
The Data Quality Campaign (DQC) is a national, collaborative effort to encourage and support stakeholders—from parents to state policymakers—to improve the availability and use of high-quality education data to improve student achievement. See the DQC fact sheet for more information.
General Job Description:
Coordinate, implement, and monitor the Data Quality Campaign’s efforts to strategically communicate the value of effective data use through outreach to the media and education stakeholders.
Essential job functions:
- Develop and maintain relationships with education journalists, education communications professionals, and other key education and policy influencers.
- Lead outreach to members of the media on upcoming organization events, report releases, and other relevant activities.
- Track and report DQC’s impact in the media and the public conversation around education data.
- Draft and disseminate press releases, media advisories, and other communications to members of the press.
- Respond to media inquiries and arrange media interviews for DQC staff.
- Identify public speaking and writing opportunities for the executive director and leadership team.
- Develop and disseminate DQC media kits.
- Support and manage specific projects, including the development and dissemination of publications, tools, and resources related to the annual release of Data for Action and enhancing DQC’s ability to tell real-life stories through video, blogs, testimonials, podcasts and DQC’s Recognition Program.
- Develop and support the organization’s blog, including writing content, editing content, and encouraging staff and external thought leaders to submit content.
- Attend hearings, conferences, briefings, report releases, meetings, etc.
- Represent DQC in meetings and events in both formal and informal settings, including giving presentations.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding corporate information.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated command of social networking and social media platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully generate media coverage and build relationships with key audiences.
- Knowledge of HTML coding, Meltwater, MailChimp, LexisNexis, Windows, WordPress and Drupal content management systems, word processing, spreadsheet, and social analytics programs.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, and speaking skills.
- Understanding of print, broadcast, online, and social media.
- A demonstrated commitment to working with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives.
- A reputation for being entrepreneurial, partnership-oriented, energetic, positive, and focused.
- Ability to take initiative on projects and complete them successfully without supervision.
- Ability to write, edit, and produce written materials and resources for a variety of audiences.
- Capacity to work well under pressure and in a rapidly changing environment.
- Passionate belief in the power of data to improve student achievement and system performance across the P–20/workforce pipeline.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in public policy, journalism, communications, public relations, or closely related field.
- Two to four years of related work experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities has been acquired may be considered.
- Require individual to work inside the majority of the day.
- Sedentary work and exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally.
- Work independently as well as maintain strong interpersonal working relationships.
- Continuous alertness and concentrated mental and visual attention throughout the workday.
- May require some travel. Travel days to be determined based on DQC workplan.
- Starting salary commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefits and work environment.
- Director, Communications and External Affairs
How to Apply:
- Please send resume, cover letter, and list of three references (with email addresses) to email@example.com.
- Please indicate “Associate, Outreach” in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: The Data Quality Campaign is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, disability accommodations will be provided, as needed.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.