One-year Community Engagement Editor
The Seattle Times is hiring a community engagement editor for The Seattle Times-Solutions Journalism project.
The community engagement editor for the Seattle Times-Solutions Journalism Project will bring a startup mentality and passion and tenacity for seeking solutions to the big questions facing education. In this one-year position, the editor will develop and manage a blog for the project that will become the region’s destination for education conversations. This editor will edit and curate staff and community contributions and conversations, making the blog a destination for the latest news and most innovative thinking on education advances and policies.
The hallmark of this editor’s efforts will be developing and executing on a successful in-person and digital engagement strategy that connects with all facets of the community, reaching beyond the education experts and journalists to include parents, teachers and community members particularly from underserved neighborhoods throughout the Puget Sound region.
Duties will vary depending on our needs and your strengths but may include:
- Start up, edit and curate a blog
- Engage community members in person, on social media and via online interaction
- Recruit community members to contribute to the blog
- Identify and cultivate partnerships with community organizations and media partners
- Drive readership and community engagement
- Conduct outreach for and participate in community forums
- Copy editing skills
- Understanding of how people use digital tools to produce and consume information and share ideas
- Knowledge of AP style, understanding of SEO principles
- Strong social media skills
- Familiarity with content management tools, including blogging platforms such as WordPress
This job is for you if you have:
- A passion for education issues
- Big ideas about digital journalism tempered with practical know-how and the ability to get things done
- A desire to inform and engage with community members online and in person in innovative ways
Preferred candidates will have a bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in journalism or a related field, with extensive digital experience.
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter, no more than five samples of your work and a list of references.
Apply at: http://www.smartrecruiters.com/seattletimescompany
The Seattle Times Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.