The Courier Journal (Louisville, Ky.)
Will cover the education beat – including the 101,000-student Jefferson County Public Schools system – for the daily newspaper and web.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Will write news and/or feature stories for the daily newspaper and the web based on information gained through personal and telephone interviews, attendance at news events and research.
- Will submit articles that are accurate, complete, objective, well-organized, and interestingly written and that comply with the News Division’s policies.
- Will meet deadlines and perform satisfactorily under deadline pressure. Will work closely with assigning editors.
- Will show initiative by developing news sources and generating story ideas. Will develop expertise in area of reporting specialization.
- Will post stories as well as shoot and post video for the web. Will use social media to reach readers.
- Will provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Must have valid driver’s license and own transportation.
- Able to react productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
Education or Training
College degree desirable. Journalism training with strong liberal arts and/or sciences emphasis; professional reporting experience desirable
Three to four years of daily newspaper reporting experience desirable.
Knowledge of the Internet and web desirable.
Good language skills and the ability to work well with people essential. Typing ability and experience with personal computers and the Internet helpful. Ability to use a camera, calculator, digital tape recorder and camcorder essential.
How to Apply
Send résumé, cover letter and writing samples to Veda Morgan, news director.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.